From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:05:55
1 On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 15:50 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
2 >
3 > I am fully with you on involving users; it was heartening to read that we
4 > already have 2 lawyers standing as well.
5
6 Do we have any certified accountants? Also I wonder what area of law the
7 specialize in. Since lawyers are like doctors in that regard, but kinda
8 worse. Hardly any family lawyers that would cover it all.
9
10 Even beyond that, say we do have lawyers specializing in the areas of
11 law that would apply to our legal needs. Would they really want to
12 spend, days, weeks, months, years working on a trial if we are faced
13 with some sort of legal action? All for no pay, and travel likely
14 required.
15
16 What happens if a trial starts and board changes over?
17
18 What if we lose one or both of our lawyers?
19
20 > I would still rather know that
21 > certain things, eg accounts and filings, were in the hands of someone who was
22 > contractually obliged to carry those out.
23
24 Beyond contractual obligation. There is legal responsibility and
25 liability. Accountants take on the same responsibility and liability in
26 filing returns for their clients. Would our board of trustees really
27 want to be individually liable and putting their name on a return or
28 other legal filing? Which if done improperly could come back on the
29 signing individual.
30
31 What happens during an audit? Would past board members return. Or want
32 to be liable for years beyond their terms.
35 I think it's kinda naive and unrealistic long term to continue to do
36 these things in house. More so when we can get the needed services
37 externally for next to nothing. Either way, decisions still have to be
38 made, and the board will still have to do that. It's just the final
39 action, and liability that will be passed on. Also IMHO makes changing
40 of the guard much easier. Not to mention allows focus on other areas of
41 the foundations mission.
44 William L. Thomson Jr.
45 Gentoo/amd64/Java