From: Jochen Maes <sejo@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] current options
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:02:07
Hi there,

I'm a new developer, and don't know if my saying will be worth much...
but here it is anyway.

I don't believe in paying for a share in the Gentoo company to have a say.
People cannot always donate with hard cash...
I'm speaking about myself now, i donate my free time (duh i hear some say we all
do... guess what.. that is the point). If i don't "donate" hard cash then
someone who does, is worth more to Gentoo then the people who don't. And that
person might not do anything for Gentoo at all...
I don't want to vote for an option where a number of "shares" can come together
and make decisions applying to their needs. Because that will happen.

There is no simple solution that is true, and not everyone will be happy with
whatever option is choosen for. But as the managers meeting log showed it isn't
perfect now either.

If we choose for a permanent (or not) directors board, i believe that we will
loose hard workers, and interesting people/views because a voting isn't always
the best thing.

fex: We still have devs in the team that don't do nothing, for months/years now.
They get the same advantages as people working every day for Gentoo. I'm not
saying we should throw out people who can't contribute for a while, i'm just
saying this isn't simple to maintain and to keep working.
Imagine this with a permanent board...

point of this message is state my thoughts and hopefully make people understand
that a fast descision/vote isn't always the best option... This needs to be
considered, and reconsidered over and over again. Whatever the descision will be
i hope it has had a descent thought...

"I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

| Jochen Maes                   |
| Developer ppc/java            |
| Gentoo Linux                  |
|  |