From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 02:29:21
1 On 06/01/17 02:21, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 8:34 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> Out of interest, what proportion of the current 'staff'/developer list
4 >> is actually US-resident? Would it better serve the distro, since most of
5 >> the devs *I* know are domiciled in Europe, for instance .. to be
6 >> elsewhere? Particularly if the US as a country is becoming more hostile
7 >> to other countries?!
8 >>
9 > Certainly we have more outside the US than inside, and there is more
10 > European concentration.
11 >
12 > However, I'd stop and consider what the purpose of the Foundation is:
13 >
14 > 1. Pay bills (which I think could be done no matter where we're based).
15 > 2. Hold our trademarks and copyrights.
16 >
17 > For the latter there is a HUGE advantage to being in the US, because
18 > the US has a very long reach when it comes to enforcement. Whether
19 > you consider that a good thing or a bad thing, it works in our favor
20 > to have US copyrights and trademarks. Copyleft is only as good as
21 > your copyright enforcement. In a perfect world perhaps there might
22 > not be copyright (depending on your views), but copyleft turns this on
23 > its head, and ironically makes stronger copyright laws work to make
24 > copyleft even stronger.
25 >
26 > So, if somebody abuses our Trademarks we can threaten to have them
27 > excluded from virtually every social media site and search engine on
28 > the planet, and of course the US works hard to export its IP laws to
29 > the rest of the world.
30 >
31 > Again, this isn't meant to suggest that US policy is a good thing
32 > overall for everybody. I'm just saying that it works out in our favor
33 > in this case. If we're going to bother to have trademarks then we
34 > might as well retain the ability to enforce them.
35 >
36 > All that said, there is no reason the bills couldn't be paid from
37 > another organization. One of the benefits of a consolidated
38 > leadership is that I think it would make it easier to have different
39 > legal entities operated almost like sub-projects, or a relationship
40 > with an umbrella organization like SPI. I'm not really advocating
41 > making changes like that right now.
42 >
43 Ok, so bearing all that Really Useful (sarcasm 50/50 here..) information
44 in mind .. under what level of threat is the Gentoo copyright and
45 imagery really under?! I know you're a US citizen, and of course these
46 things become very dear to ones heart, much like owning guns, and must
47 be defended under all possible circumstances (forgive me if I'm going
48 off on too much of a tangent here ...)
49
50 I think the final paragraph is something that probably should be
51 considered in the longer term. Particularly if modernisation of Gentoo's
52 structures does take hold, and the potential for better accountability
53 and protection for our European developers (UK currently will shortly
54 end up a special case thanks to its ignorant electorate) becomes a
55 viable possibility.
56
57 I confess not to be an expert on international organisations, but I
58 think this could be a valuable opportunity to think a little bit more
59 outside the proverbial box, and build Gentoo as a distro and
60 organisation better fit for the 21st and future centuries...