From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] 2019 Presidents Letter
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 20:53:37
1 Dear Foundation Colleagues,
2
3 In Fiscal 2019 the Gentoo Foundation Inc pursued a few key
4 initiatives. Top of mind was the process of improving the state of the
5 Foundation financials. The foundation continued to take in revenue and
6 sustain our expenditures for another fiscal year. In fiscal 2019 this
7 included an additional program where the Foundation provided hardware
8 security keys to Gentoo developers.
9
10 With regards to our Financials; in 2019 the board authored a request
11 for proposal (RFP) and after numerous months the board succeeded in
12 locating a company to assist us in improving our financial affairs. A
13 special thanks to Robin (Foundation Treasurer) and Matthew for their
14 efforts in driving this effort. We have ascertained our standing with
15 the IRS, received advice on how to move forward, as well as a quote
16 for financial services in order to improve the books of Gentoo
17 Financial Inc. As we have kept the same board for Fiscal 2020, I
18 expect our financial records to be complete for the past 3 fiscal
19 years (2016-2019) by early fiscal 2020 (e.g. Nov 2019.)
20
21 In 2019 the board entered into a partnership with Nitrokey[1][2] and
22 funded the purchase of over 70 nitrokey pro 2 units to Gentoo
23 Developers. The board hopes that these units will improve the security
24 of key material used for Gentoo development and aspires to fund
25 additional units in the future as needed; provided the community
26 continues to provide positive feedback on the program.
27
28 In 2019 Gentoo Foundation Inc. had revenues exceed expenditures; the
29 Foundation made a profit in 2019. We do not expect this to be the case
30 in the 2020 Fiscal year due to hardware purchases and additional
31 accounting costs that will come in the 2020 Fiscal as we continue to
32 make progress improving our books. While we may lose money in Fiscal
33 2020, the Foundation has sufficient assets and cash flow to cover the
34 anticipated shortfalls.
35
36 -Alec Warner
37 President, Gentoo Foundation Inc.