From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Agenda item: Formalize Gentoo's org structure
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 14:50:05
1 On 18-04-09 08:58:03, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 6:24 AM, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > > Gentoo has been known to be a two headed entity for a while. While the
6 > > fact is that only one of the heads has legal standing to be called
7 > > Gentoo, the other head has been doing most of the technical work.
8 > > Unfortunately having two heads means that there can be fighting between
9 > > them. In order to finally put the matter to some rest I seek to define
10 > > Gentoo's org structure.
11 > >
12 > > Currently, legally, it only consists of the following:
13 > > 1. foundation members
14 > > 2. trustees
15 > > 3. officers (don't have to be foundation members or trustees)
16 > >
17 > > I wish to extend that to the following.
18 > > 1. foundation members
19 > > 2. trustees
20 > > 3. officers (don't have to be foundation members or trustees)
21 > > 3.1 infra members (or at least the lead)
22 > > 3.2 comrel members (or at least the lead)
23 > > 3.3 council members
26 > People in 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 are already Gentoo developers and yet some
27 > developers choose not to associate with the Foundation.
28 >
29 > If I was a council member, could I continue to be a council member and not
30 > be a member of the Foundation? If not, it could appear like this is an
31 > exclusionary measure (e.g. in order to be a council member you must also be
32 > willing to be a Foundation member.) If Foundation membership is optional,
33 > it looks similar to the status quo (some of comrel / Council / etc are
34 > Foundation members, some are not.)
38 Yes, I thought I mentioned in the email that officers (thus all of
39 secition 3) do not have to be members or turstees.
42 > > Infrastructure has a clearly defined role in Gentoo. Namely that of
43 > > managing foundation infrastructure resources. Bringing those members
44 > > under the foundation's umbrella formalizes this. Infra has previously
45 > > been fairly nebulous as to who directs them (having been directed by
46 > > council, trustees and comrel).
49 > The short answer is Infra is directed by Council for project matters and
50 > Trustees for legal / money matters.
51 > I've been working on drawing up this policy explicitly in recent times.
55 I'd extend that to be 'comrel for HR matters' as well, but sgtm.
58 > > Comrel has the clear analog of being the HR (human relations). HR
59 > > is three to protect the business from human related infighting. Comrel
60 > > was previously under the direction of the council, primarily for
61 > > historical reasons (the foundation was not well staffed or run until
62 > > recently). I thank the council for managing this.
63 > >
64 > > Council is supposed to be the technical leadership within Gentoo, over
65 > > the last decade or so this responsibility has ballooned to encompass
66 > > things out side this scope. This seeks to clearly define the powers of
67 > > the council to that of technical leadership.
70 > > One of the drawbacks of this is that being an officer means being an
71 > > 'organ' of the business, meaning that some of the current members may
72 > > have conflicts with their current job. To this I ask 'Is what you are
73 > > doing now not vital? If it is doesn't that make you an organ (even if
74 > > not explicitly stated as such)?'
75 > >
76 > > One of the good things about this (other than clearly defining roles and
77 > > boundaries) is that it allows council members to server as Trustees.
78 > > This would require a bylaw change, but has been something often
79 > > complained about.
82 > The above is a bit vague to me. My reading is:
83 >
84 > We continue to have a Foundation, with members (now expanded in this
85 > proposal), the board still meets monthy and makes decisions, the board is
86 > elected by the members every yeah. The board directs Infra and Comrel? The
87 > board does not direct the council?
88 >
89 > Is that the summary?
90
91 Not quite, I didn't have time to type it all out, because sleep.
92
93 Council (and comrel) would continue to exist as it currently does.
94 The currently voted in people would be offered the positions.
95 Anyone not wishing to stay will be replaced by that body's appointment
96 mechanism (voting for the council).
97
98 I'd suggest that at least the leads for each body would need to be
99 confirmed, since council has no lead it means they all need confirmed
100 (I'd rather this not be the case). The Trustees would only appoint
101 someone in the absence of a candidate taking their place (in order to
102 continue operation of the project).
103
104 (my opinion) All current members of all the mentioned bodies would be
105 offered the same position (even ones who seem to hate me). Confirmation
106 would be mostly a rubber stamp process.
107
108 As far as 'appeals of decisions goes', while I'd love to be able to
109 promise something (like we'll always back council on technical matters
110 or comrel on HR matters), but we can't. Sometimes there are legal or
111 practical reasons we cannot (too much money to rent all the compute
112 resources available so we can test all the packages all the ways or if
113 we are somehow directed to do something illegal).
114
115 (my opinion) in practice we'd leave the council alone in their
116 decisions (maybe something once a decade? seems about right). We'd do
117 the same with comrel, much how I don't think council has overturned a
118 comrel decision in memory I don't think the trustees would.
121 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)