From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Social Contract and potential liabilities
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 12:33:12
1 Hi all
2
3 We've had the discussion in the past somewhat, but never truly took it
4 further. One of the questions I was recently asked is how to interpret the
5 following part of our Social Contract:
6
7 """
8 Any external contributions to Gentoo (in the form of freely-distributable
9 sources, binaries, metadata or documentation) may be incorporated into
10 Gentoo provided that we are legally entitled to do so. However, Gentoo will
11 never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it conforms to the
12 GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License, the
13 Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by
14 the Open Source Initiative (OSI).
15 """
16
17 This was brought forward when we started accepting user contributions
18 through GitHub. Yes, we've had the discussion that we don't depend on it.
19 But now the question was how do we need to interpret "depend on"?
20
21 Given that the sentence is in reference to the primary one ("Any external...")
22 does the dependency focus on the incorporation of software in Gentoo (provided
23 legal entitlement) and hence that this software, if it does not conform to the
24 LGPL et al, then that this software cannot be a strict, hard dependency? Let's call
25 this the "strict interpretation".
26
27 In this interpretation, we're talking about the incorporation of software,
28 metadata, documentation into Gentoo (and Gentoo in our social contract is
29 defined as a collection of free knowledge), of which the Gentoo operating
30 system (distribution) is a derivation of it. I personally read that as
31 adding the contributions by users and external sources into our entire
32 ecosystem / community, but I don't see the software or platform of external
33 services as being part of this. We make documentation on how to work with
34 GitHub, but GitHub itself is not part of Gentoo.
35
36 But perhaps the interpretation is broader than that? Perhaps service
37 dependency is something that is also covered by the statement. And when that
38 is the case, then the sentence about "Gentoo will never depend upon..."
39 becomes even more important. Do our communities not depend on services that
40 are handled by non-free software? Think about the propriatary operating
41 systems of the various routers that our network and internet traffic goes
42 through. Think about the propriatary software in use by the Government and
43 banking platforms that are keeping the state of the Gentoo Foundation (as a
44 legal entity) up?
45
46 In my opinion, we are not incorporating them into Gentoo. They are not
47 becoming part of Gentoo or of the community, but we do depend on them. And
48 for some of these services, the dependency is very soft (GitHub is not a
49 mandatory service for Gentoo) while others are hard (without the network
50 routers, few people can reach anyone and anything of Gentoo).
51
52 So far the first question (How to interpret the paragraph, and more
53 specifically the "depend on").
54
55 The second question that came is a traditional "What if". What if we are
56 depending on software and as such as in breach of our Social Contract. What
57 are the consequences? Are there any liabilities? Are certain contributions
58 to Gentoo affected by this breach?
59
60 Personally, I think software contributions are marked with the license they
61 come with. This license is not depending on the Social Contract. As such, I
62 think the liability is not with contributions in the form of tangible
63 assets, but in the form of intangible. We're all contributing time and
64 effort to the Gentoo Project. If we are in breach of the Social Contract,
65 are these contributions, which we often (or even exclusively) do in our free
66 time, suddenly "different"?
67
68 In the extreme case, could developers and users who contributed time and
69 effort to the Gentoo project ask for compensation the moment that we would
70 be in breach of the Social Contract?
71
72 So the second question is, what are the ramifications towards the Gentoo
73 community, Gentoo project and even Gentoo Foundation when Gentoo would be in
74 breach of this part of the Social Contract?
75
76 Wkr,
77 Sven Vermeulen