From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Grants and funding (was: Re: <blank>)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 03:14:36
Donnie Berkholz wrote:

>Does anyone know of other sources that might help with funding? > >
We've had some ideas[1], and there is a contact who is great with writing grants (the type of grant that Donnie talked about) who is willing to help the Foundation, he's just waiting for us to get to the point of being able to accept such grants. In other words, completing the 501(c) status. There are governmental grants that could be applied for, as well as vendor grants (IBM is pretty famous for giving grants as tax writeoffs with the stipulation that the grant money be spent in a certain quarter, thus helping their income in the same token). As for the kind of grants that Brad mentioned, we've tossed such an idea around (similarly) as well but call them "bounties". The framework for such a beast would need to be carefully laid so that everything remains legal and we don't end up in trouble with the IRS. With that accomplished, I think bounties are a great idea if the money is there. To be honest, the current Board is quite new to having money, as we've only had funds on hand in the past couple of months[2] and we've been around for almost a year. Nobody is jumping at the bit to spend it all, but on the other hand I've heard comments that people give the money with the intention for it to be spent and help Gentoo. It'll be a fine balance between money that should be saved for possible legal expenses and other suprises like hardware failures, and money that should go out (and how much goes to whom). We have had only one request for funding come in (for a hardware upgrade), and the need is going to be fulfilled by hardware already within Gentoo's reach. I know that money will be requested around the time of LWE as well to help with PR type stuff. Anyway, I probably got off track there. In my mind, funding for Gentoo is half of the job of the Foundation, and why I was so excited to see the paypal link get off the ground. Once the IRS NFP filing is complete it will open up the doors for things such as grants. Cheers! -C [1] - [2] - -- gentoo-nfp@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
[gentoo-nfp] Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
[gentoo-nfp] Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>