From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Grants and funding (was: Re: <blank>)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 03:14:36
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 >Does anyone know of other sources that might help with funding?
6 We've had some ideas[1], and there is a contact who is great with
7 writing grants (the type of grant that Donnie talked about) who is
8 willing to help the Foundation, he's just waiting for us to get to the
9 point of being able to accept such grants. In other words, completing
10 the 501(c) status.
11
12 There are governmental grants that could be applied for, as well as
13 vendor grants (IBM is pretty famous for giving grants as tax writeoffs
14 with the stipulation that the grant money be spent in a certain quarter,
15 thus helping their income in the same token).
16
17 As for the kind of grants that Brad mentioned, we've tossed such an idea
18 around (similarly) as well but call them "bounties". The framework for
19 such a beast would need to be carefully laid so that everything remains
20 legal and we don't end up in trouble with the IRS. With that
21 accomplished, I think bounties are a great idea if the money is there.
22
23 To be honest, the current Board is quite new to having money, as we've
24 only had funds on hand in the past couple of months[2] and we've been
25 around for almost a year. Nobody is jumping at the bit to spend it all,
26 but on the other hand I've heard comments that people give the money
27 with the intention for it to be spent and help Gentoo. It'll be a fine
28 balance between money that should be saved for possible legal expenses
29 and other suprises like hardware failures, and money that should go out
30 (and how much goes to whom). We have had only one request for funding
31 come in (for a hardware upgrade), and the need is going to be fulfilled
32 by hardware already within Gentoo's reach. I know that money will be
33 requested around the time of LWE as well to help with PR type stuff.
34
35 Anyway, I probably got off track there. In my mind, funding for Gentoo
36 is half of the job of the Foundation, and why I was so excited to see
37 the paypal link get off the ground. Once the IRS NFP filing is complete
38 it will open up the doors for things such as grants.
39
40 Cheers!
41
42 -C