From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Extending Social Contract to guarantee that Gentoo will remain volunteer work
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:23:55
1 On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 09:18:01 -0600
2 Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/26/2017 09:03 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > [discussion intended at -nfp, CC-ing -project]
6 > >
7 > > Hi,
8 > >
9 > > I would like to add an additional clause to the Gentoo Social Contract
10 > > [1], to guarantee that Gentoo will remain a volunteer-based project
11 > > and will not turn into some kind of paid enterprise. The suggested text
12 > > would be:
13 > >
14 > > | Gentoo is and will remain independent volunteer work. We will never
15 > > | pay anyone to develop Gentoo, nor will we accept any donations given
16 > > | on the condition of any particular development.
17 > >
18 > > Text improvements welcome.
19 > >
20 > > The main idea is to protect volunteers spending their time on Gentoo.
21 > > I don't want to learn one day that my opinion doesn't matter anymore
22 > > because a new lead (Council, Trustees, Board, BDFL or any other
23 > > possible future form) decides that they/he/she will use the donation
24 > > money to hire paid workers doing the Gentoo work that they desire.
25 > >
26 > > I believe that any possible lead Gentoo might elect in the future
27 > > should still represent the whole Gentoo community, and the community
28 > > should have the right to refuse to follow the directions set by
29 > > the lead if he/she stops listening to the community. As volunteers,
30 > > we have the right to refuse to do something that in our opinion harms
31 > > Gentoo.
32 > >
33 > > Sadly, this could become pointless if the leading bodies keep the power
34 > > to hire people to work on Gentoo for money. This means that effectively
35 > > they have the power to spend Gentoo money on pursuing their own goals
36 > > as long as they can legally claim that the work is done for
37 > > the benefit of Gentoo. In volunteer-based project, they effectively
38 > > have to *convince* others to work on their ideas and/or spend
39 > > a significant effort working on them themselves.
40 > >
41 > > The other part is pretty much a formality, that means to make it clear
42 > > that Gentoo is not supposed to be bribed by third-party companies to
43 > > alter its course. I don't think it really changes anything but it looks
44 > > like a nice thing to state.
45 > >
46 > > I should note that this doesn't mean to prevent anyone from being paid
47 > > by third parties to work on Gentoo, or receive any money on account of
48 > > what he did or is doing for Gentoo. I think that's fine as long as
49 > > the wider Gentoo community has the right to reject any work that it
50 > > sees unfit.
51 > >
52 > > [1]:https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html
55 > This rule would be able to be replaced by whoever that new board is,
56 > making it not fully effective (not that it's is ineffective).
57
58 Are other SC rules unlike? Considering they're not even fully respected
59 right now...
60
61 > Also, I think this would prevent us from hiring outside people to help
62 > us in things we are not skilled in. Say, taxes and law type stuff.
63
64 I was thinking of that but I wouldn't say taxes and lawyers really
65 count as people developing Gentoo.
66
67 > It'd also prevent us from re-reimbursing gsoc volunteers for travel I think.
68
69 Not sure about that. But as long as the money is clearly for travel,
70 and for doing any specific work I don't think that's a problem.
71
72 > Overall I'm not against something like this, but I think it'd be better
73 > to attack it in the other direction. Decide what can we spend money on,
74 > not what we can't. At the moment it's up to the trustees to spend the
75 > money and I haven't seen or heard of any bad behaviour there.
76
77 While I don't mind devising a more specific rules, I'm not sure if
78 a detailed list would really fit the style of the Social Contract.
81 Best regards,
82 Michał Górny
83 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>