From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Gentoo Foundation Trustees 202106 Election Results
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 08:33:14
1 On Sat, 2021-08-21 at 07:07 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 05:19:15PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > this is actually the first time anybody has even had the chance to
4 > > vote for the reopen option.
5 > Why do you think this is the first time somebody had an option to use
6 > the reopen option?
7 >
8 > The last 3 Trustees elections had _reopen_nominations as an option.
9 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/elections.git/tree/completed/trustees-201807/ballot-trustees-201807
10 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/elections.git/tree/completed/trustees-201906/ballot-trustees-201906
11 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/elections.git/tree/completed/trustees-202006/ballot-trustees-202006
12 >
13 > Council has used it since the council2008b election.
14 >
15 > > IMO the simplest option is to just leave alicef in her position at
16 > > least in the interim, inquire via the lists if anybody else wants to
17 > > run, and then if there are other candidates hold another election. If
18 > > nobody else has an interest the Trustees could just appoint alicef (or
19 > > anybody else) to the slot.
20 > This is similar to my suggestion: if nobody else is nominated, alicef
21 > gets the seat anyway.
22 >
23 > > Honestly, this situation is making me question the point of even
24 > > having the reopen option. If we were going to just operate with an
25 > > unoccupied chair that might be one thing, but it seems like the time
26 > > for others to step up to run is during the initial election. Having
27 > > the voters say we don't like the options doesn't really help, and it
28 > > just creates a somewhat adversarial situation. I'm not sure that
29 > > operating with less than a full set of board members is good idea -
30 > > maybe if we had a dozen of them it wouldn't be a big deal to have
31 > > empty seats, but with only 5 the org really opens itself up to serious
32 > > problems if it has one or more positions vacant, like 1-2 people being
33 > > able to take unilateral action, bus factor, and so on.
34 > The reopen option makes a lot of sense if there are many nominees, and
35 > elected representatives potentially retire between elections: the next
36 > representative down the list, as long as they are above the reopen option
37 > are eligible to become elected representatives.
38 >
39 > Maybe adjust the voting to say:
40 > If there are strictly more candidates than open seats, then the reopen
41 > option should be present?
44 Having the option is beneficial even if it's unlikely that somebody else
45 will actually accept the nomination in the second phase. It indicates
46 that the candidate has no support from the community. Not saying that
47 the candidate will actually care about that...
51 Best regards,
52 Michał Górny