From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [g2boojum@gentoo.org: Re: Request for funds]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:56:14
1 On Wednesday 21 September 2005 09:34 am, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > I'd believe that we aren't able to pay for developers attending meetings.
3 > We probably never will, unless we win some nice lotteries. So far for the
4 > bad thoughts :)
5
6 It would be nice to do this someday.. For instance, Debconf and Apachecon
7 both attract users and developers worldwide, and are supported by their
8 appropriate foundations (the foundations pay for the organizing and pay the
9 way for the speakers/faculty).
10
11 > Someone mentioned to provide a list of conferences/meetings that might get
12 > Gentoo Foundation funding. I'm not really in favor of this as this will
13 > undoubtedly result in political discussions about who/when/where and such.
14
15 Well, those discussions will arise with or without a list. A list may help to
16 distinguish eligibility and in the long run help to minimize the politics.
17 Some criteria needs to be set to help guide such a list though. For
18 instance, conference attendance and purpose behind the conference. LWE is a
19 general linux conference where distros are given a chance to advertise and
20 show off. Attendance tops 12,000 for san francisco. I think it is well
21 worth our money to help the efforts there. On the other hand, if I create a
22 Linux conference at home and expect 5 people to show up, it would be a waste
23 of money. So, a criteria needs to be discussed and set.
24
25 > I'd rather focus on using the financial means for infrastructure and other
26 > Gentoo-wide support.
27
28 Sure. I guess this opens up the floor for the question "what do we have
29 falling under 'other Gentoo-wide support'?"
30
31 Cheers,
32
33 -C