From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:36:06
1 On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 15:23 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> Is there any controversy over the requirements, or is there a
5 >> consensus that we have a problem here?
6 >
7 > I am sure the IRS and state of New Mexico would care the mandated
8 > requirements are not being fulfilled.
9
10 Well, neither the IRS nor the state of New Mexico is posting on this
11 mailing list. Clearly from the responses of others there is in fact a
12 controversy over whether a problem exists, and perhaps over the
13 details of the requirements.
16 >> Certainly interested in an answer to this.  The way I read it was that
17 >> sometime in the past there was a problem and the correction just makes
18 >> the register reflect reality.  That might not be something we can fix.
19 >
20 > At what point in the past? There needs to be specifics there, not just
21 > some general statement. This is not anyones money, but alls money.
22 > Therefore there needs to be accountability for all to see, and there
23 > won't be any questions.
26 Ok, so priority 1 has to be that all activity going forward is clearly
27 documented.
28
29 If there was some error or mess in the past, then by all means we
30 should look into it. However, we may or may not ever be able to
31 resolve it, depending on the state of the records. The current (and
32 to be elected) board needs to held accountable for the things they did
33 - and only in part for their ability to clean up something that
34 happened in the past.
35
36 Sure, the issues of the past, if uncorrected, may cost us something.
37 That alone doesn't mean that they can be corrected.
38
39 I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't try to find out more - only that
40 this may or may not end up being possible, and so it is what it is.
41
42 >> Any suggestions as to solution?  Hiring a CPA as a part-time treasurer
43 >> might be a solution - if we can afford it.
44 >
45 > If the foundation wants to remain as such and have control over it's
46 > assets and IP, remain a legal entity. Then it must retain a CPA, and
47 > file the mandated annual reports and financial statements.
48
49 So, I'll agree that any reports required by law must be filed.
50 Whether a CPA is required depends on the law and the complexity of the
51 task. I don't doubt that the cost is significant - maybe not
52 thousands of dollars, but they aren't going to do it for $50 unless it
53 is a donation. Also, in my experience accountants only work with what
54 you give them - if your records aren't useful then they can't generate
55 reports out of nothing. If your records are good enough to report on,
56 then there is probably a decent chance we could do the reports
57 ourselves, and rely on CPAs and attorneys only when there are issues
58 in controversy, or for auditing.
61 >> The lack of reporting probably stems from one of a few possible causes:
62 >> 1.  There is not agreement the work needs to be done (perhaps rightly
63 >> or wrongly).
64 >
65 > Who is questioning the federal and state requirements? This is not
66 > something to disagree on, and anyone who does disagree, clearly is
67 > unqualified.
68
69 So, it sounds like there is debate over whether a problem even exists.
70 I was listing possible issues, and your declaration that a problem
71 exists obviously does not on its own make it so.
74 >> One thing we should strongly consider is that if we don't have time to
75 >> legally document an action, then we probably shouldn't perform the
76 >> action.
77 >
78 > You have no choice on this stuff. You are running for the board and you
79 > should know this stuff. Or not run for the board if you are not
80 > qualified for such.
81
82 I think you misunderstood my point. You don't need to document
83 something that you didn't do (sure, you might have to issue a no-op
84 statement, but that's it). So, we should focus first on compliance,
85 and second on activity. If we keep the reporting ahead of the
86 activity then we will always be compliant.
87
88 Regarding my qualifications - I never claimed to be a CPA, and neither
89 are most directors in public companies (at least from what I've seen).
90 The role of a director is primarily one of oversight normally,
91 although the reality for Gentoo is that we need to get our hands
92 dirty. I certainly have no objections to this.
93
94 From what I've seen posted by the trustees in this thread we really
95 don't have a serious issue to worry about here. Obviously if elected
96 I will have full access to all material information and would confirm
97 that this is in fact the case. If it isn't then we'll work TOGETHER
98 to fix it. That last bit is actually pretty important - what's the
99 point of Gentoo if we're throwing stones at each other?
102 >> If accepting a check involves 18 hours of paperwork, then we
103 >> might consider whether the check ought to be accepted at all.
104 >
105 > Then why does the foundation exist at all?
106 >
107 > The flip side is how will that money be spent, and what impact that will
108 > have over what period of time. You will likely find out that the benefit
109 > completely outweighs the cost. Which is some what the entire idea behind
110 > a non-profit foundation.
113 Again, I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't suggesting that
114 we shouldn't accept money. My point was that if any particular
115 transaction is unusually onerous from a reporting or legal standpoint,
116 then we should consider that as part of the cost/benefit balance. If
117 somebody wants to set up a trust to benefit Gentoo in the amount of
118 $47, and that trust takes Gentoo 75 pages of accounting over the next
119 10 years to work out the reporting, then we should probably just ask
120 them to write us a check or give it to somebody who can handle that.
121 On the other hand, if that trust costs us writing the number $47 in
122 line 8 of form ABC then we should take it.
125 >> A report is easy at the start of the reporting period - copy balance
126 >> forward from last period, activities are all zero, end balance is
127 >> equal to start.
128 >
129 > Problem is neglect has gone on for so many years. Each year that passes
130 > is just one more to play catch up up. Things were quite behind in 2008,
131 > and now in 2011, only more so.
132
133 Again, priority 1 is that documentation for current activities is
134 good. Priority 2 is that we catch up on old messes. You can't clean
135 up a mess if you're making it worse every day.
136
137 And the current trustees seem to claim that all is in order.
140 >> Might not hurt to use something like Google docs with backups to
141 >> facilitate/etc.
142 >
143 > Thats pretty irrelevant, but many things could be leveraged.
146 Well, I was trying to be constructive. If you care about Gentoo, and
147 you're going to point out problems, then it doesn't hurt to suggest
148 options for solutions. I won't be hurt if they aren't ultimately
149 implemented.
150
151 If things are actually under control then perhaps the status quo is adequate.
152
153 Certainly I'd support increased transparency, like a webpage with
154 periodic statements. The checkbook register need not be public -
155 mainly because it probably contains details that might be personal/etc
156 in nature.
157
158 > (Paraphrased)
159 > You had commented on losing non-profit status/etc.
160
161 I don't know that you specifically said anything incorrect, but there
162 are a lot of common misconceptions out there around non-profit status
163 and what that means as far as the IRS goes.
164
165 The IRS taxes corporations (that's what we are, legally) and
166 businesses in general based on PROFIT. If you don't make a profit,
167 then you don't owe taxes, period. You don't need any particular
168 status to benefit from this.
169
170 501(c)3 status is about allowing contributors to claim a tax deduction
171 in the US on their donations. You can write a check to Microsoft
172 right now, and there are no issues for Microsoft receiving that money
173 (they just have to put it in their revenue, and pay taxes if not
174 offset by a loss). However, you can't deduct that from your income
175 for tax purposes. If you write that check to the American Red Cross
176 you can, because they are 501(c)3.
177
178 In summary:
179
180 Bottom line is that I'm all for transparency. However, I'm not going
181 to accuse the current trustees of not doing their job unless I have
182 evidence that this is actually the case. Sure, I'd love to see more
183 transparency, and we can work constructively to have that. However,
184 if our interests REALLY are the welfare of Gentoo we can do that
185 without making accusations.
186
187 How about a simple "Hey, I was curious if Gentoo's financial
188 statements are posted anywhere public. Can you point them out, or is
189 there some way we can work towards making them public?" This is much
190 more constructive than starting with "I know you're hiding something -
191 prove that you aren't!"
192
193 If you're looking for somebody who is going to antagonize anybody
194 trying to help out until they all quit then by all means don't elect
195 me to the trustees. I'm all for compliance and am willing to pitch in
196 to help out. I'm fine with hiring professional help when that makes
197 sense. What I'm not for is stirring the pot just to make people run
198 around.
199
200 Rich