From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Points to Ponder for Sundays Meeting.
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:42:13
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.04.18 19:09, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 [snip]
6 >
7 > From the previous mails, my understanding is that the point about
8 > membership to the Foundation is not to be discussed on this meeting,
9 > but on a later date. Am I correct?
10 >
11 [snip]
14 > Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
15 > Gentoo- forums/userrel/Sparc/KDE
18 Jorge,
19
20 The topic will not be avoided. I expect it to come up under the Bylaws
21 section of the agenda but I doubt if any firm decisions will be made
22 other than to 'fix the membership rules'.
23
24 My preference is to get a set of bylaws that the trustees can
25 unanimously agree to adopt so we can move on. The bylaws can be fine
26 tuned later.
27
28 I have a vested interest in the definition of a "full developer" I want
29 to propose something like "Gentoo developers become members of the
30 Gentoo Foundation on the first anniversary of their join date, as held
31 in the individuals LDAP record." That makes it nice and unambiguous
32 for election officials. It also defines developers as anyone who has an
33 LDAP record.
34
35 and "Foundation membership ceases at the close of the trustee election
36 following the members retirement from the project."
37 I don't want serving trustees retired unless they resign from the
38 Foundation separately under its bylaws.
39
40 I did consider something to allow trustees to vote to extend membership
41 but its not needed. Trustees can appoint officers, that's good enough
42 (and less controversial). Anyone can be an officer.
43
44 Its probably a controversial subject with opinions shaped by
45 discussions on a mailing list rather than on IRC.
46
47 I like the sound of your Gentoo elections project. Maybe the Foundation
48 needs to appoint a team of returning officers, whose job would be just
49 that. That's a little 'tongue in cheek' but not completely. It could be
50 the first step in the Foundation actively taking on some of the non
51 technical tasks presently managed by the council. That was one of the
52 long term goals in my manifesto.
53
54 - --
55 Regards,