From: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins, leadership, etc.
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:24:46
1 On Wednesday 16 January 2008 07:06:21 pm John Alberts wrote:
2 > I don't know any of the devs personally, and I'm not a dev, but I hate
3 > seeing some of these comments coming through putting all of this blame on
4 > the devs.  They are volunteers, doing what they enjoy, and they'll be doing
5 > it for as long as it makes him/her happy.
8 for my part i'm not 'blaming' devs for what they've done. it is more about
9 what's not being done that's the problem... but I don't care if it's the
10 dev's the trustees or even the users. the real problem is, is that none are
11 fixing the problem, and we are debating whether to allow someone who has
12 offered to step up to the plate and fix it. Debates aren't solutions.
13
14 developers are good a programming, writing, or other technical task.
15
16 This doesn't mean that they are good at management, human resources (e.g.
17 ending conflict), legal (whatever), etc...
18
19 sometimes developers may be good at the above, but not always. I think the
20 problem is we have to many developers who aren't as good at the above as they
21 are at programming. we need more balance, people who are capable of taking
22 control and managing... leadership, etc.
23
24 beyond Dan Robbins does anyone have a better idea? that hasn't been tried.
25 --
26 Caleb Cushing
27
28 PGP keys available on key server
29 wwwkeys.us.pgp.net
30
31 Due to low Internet availability I may not check
32 my email more than once a week, and thus cannot
33 guarantee a response time.