From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] You need to pay them
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 18:31:18
1 On 2018.04.12 08:23, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > Hi Everyone,
3 >
4 > I'd like to propose that people consider having a couple of paid
5 > Foundation
6 > positions. Yes, I know what some of you are thinking. Blasphemy,
7 > right?
8 > Well, if you want people to run the Foundation and stay on top of
9 > finances,
10 > paperwork, etc, it takes a lot of time. If people devote a lot of time
12 > the Foundation, it takes time away from their day that they would
13 > otherwise
14 > spend earning money.
15 >
16 > So without some modest compensation, trustees can only make a 'best
17 > effort'
18 > and they can't really guarantee a certain amount of hours to trustee
19 > duties
20 > per week. And we know from experience that that results in. That is
21 > just
22 > reality and will exist in any not-for-profit... ultimately most people
23 > use
24 > their time to make money, so if you want their ongoing assistance in
25 > the
26 > form of time -- for free -- they will lose money from their
27 > generosity, and
28 > this will be hard to sustain, regardless of the goodness of their
29 > intentions.
30 >
31 > But isn't that illegal!??!?!
32 >
33 > Absolutely not! It is perfectly legal for a not-for-profit to pay
34 > salaries.
35 > If you have ever donated to the Wikipedia Foundation (aka. Jimmy Wales
36 > beg-a-thon), you are giving them funds so they can have offices in San
37 > Francisco, computers, servers, desks, employees with regular salaries,
38 > benefits, paid time off, health care, retirement, etc. Yes, quite
39 > lovely,
40 > and nothing at the level we would offer our trustees -- I'm just
41 > making the
42 > point that not-for-profits are not vows of poverty. The organization
43 > itself
44 > isn't supposed to make a profit, but there can be expenses associated
45 > with
46 > running the organization and pursuing its mission.
47
48 The Foundation is a business like any other business and it can legally
49 make a profit, like any other business.
50
51 There are restrictions on what a non-profit can do.
52 The non-profit comes from being run not for the profit of the members.
53 Paying a dividend to members, would therefore be illegal.
54
55 [snip]
58 > Isn't that against the bylaws!?!?
59 >
60 > Yes, a provision was added to the bylaws after the creation of the
61 > Foundation to prevent trustees from being financially compensated,
62 > with the
63 > expectation that the trustees would hire paid officers to do a lot of
64 > the
65 > heavy work of running the Foundation.
66
67 Not so much paid officers, as a fixed fee for a defined scope of work.
68
69 'Paid officers' raises the specter of employees, with hiring, firing,
70 health care, pensions, employment contracts and all the other
71 overheads that go with having employees.
72
73 Another problem with paying for a role rather than a scope of work
74 is assessing value for money. A scope of work can be competed
75 and value, not cost, to the organisation can be compared.
76
77 The Foundation does pay for services and should continue to pay for
78 services. These paid services can be performed by both members
79 and non members.
82 > Best,
83 >
84 > Daniel