From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Split Trustees and Officers organization was -> Gentoo Foundation bank account
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:58:47
1 On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 17:20 -0700, Blackace wrote:
2 >
3 > Also remember, when a corp opens a bank account (or makes really any
4 > other decision about the corp), the officers of the corp, which I gather
5 > is the trustees at this point, need to meet and vote on a resolution to
6 > open the account, and this needs to be documented in the books of the
7 > corp...yes, a lot of people skip this step, but skipping it's generally
8 > not a good idea, it's easy enough to meet and say "let's open an account
9 > with XYZ", "second", etc., and the president could just print out the
10 > IRC log, sign it, and send it to the secretary for their signature and
11 > to store it with the rest of the records.
12
13 To address the organizational structure and relationship between
14 Trustees and Officers as I see it. Again trustees decide, officers act,
15 and cannot decide or act without trustees decision.
16
17 That is trustees meet, vote, and decide on a course of action. Which is
18 then passed down to the officers to enact. The officers will only act to
19 the will of the trustees, and/or their intended roles. Secretary
20 recording say meeting logs, providing summaries, etc.
21
22 Right now this is convoluted because of the dual role aspect. But we are
23 still re-creating and fixing the broken foundation.
26 William L. Thomson Jr.
27 amd64/Java/Trustees
28 Gentoo Foundation