From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 06:12:24
1 On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 09:34:06PM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > > > Yes, I understand that. However, I still believe that a contract
3 > > > initiated between CPA and a single small-ish entity such a Gentoo
4 > > > involves more costs than fees taken by umbrella dedicated to multiple
5 > > > entities. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
6 > >
7 > > Nobody knows yet. Different umbrellas work differently.
8
9 The CPA we have engaged so far, Corporate Capital, has a standard
10 preparation fee of USD1500 per fiscal year. We do have some estimates of
11 Umbrella fees, plus the Financial Statements I prepared...
14 > Sigh. I agree with the second statement. The first one, well...
15 >
16 > Here's the example of SPI (disclaimer, we do not know if they would take us):
17 > * no direct costs associated
18 > * 5% deduction from donations for SPI's overhead
19 >
20 > Big Hint, it helps to first research something and then talk / discuss. That's
21 > however, rather rare on this list.
22
23 The Trustees HAVE previously done _some_ of this legwork on the major
24 umbrellas, I don't have a link to hand, but I do remember details,
25 because it was in scope of my work as Treasurer; and we can combine
26 these with the financial statements to compare against the CPA quotes to
27 date. Further would should take the longer list of Umbrellas and
28 comprehensively document their costs.
29
30 As further concrete example:
31 https://sfconservancy.org/projects/apply/
32 >> How much does it cost us financially to join Conservancy?
33 >> New Conservancy members are required to pay 10% of their revenue
34
35 The umbrella fees I've seen range:
36 - smallest: 5% of net revenue (income less expenses)
37 - largest: 20% of gross income
38
39 The exact definition of which expenses might be included/excluded by a
40 given umbrella might also vary, I didn't find a clear public
41 documentation on it.
42
43 Basing that on the FY2018 fiscal, with the additional caveat that I
44 don't have any value assigned to in-kind server/hosting services
45 received by Infra; That would increase gross & net values.
46
47 Gross Income: USD 28,600.15
48 Gross Expenses: USD 9,292.95
49 - Depreciation: USD 3,659.64 (it devalued assets but wasn't something we actually spent)
50 - "Real" Expense: USD 5,633.31
51 = Net revenue: USD 22,966.84
52
53 5% of net: USD 1,148.34
54 20% of gross: USD 5,720.03
55
56 At an outward glance, this does imply that some umbrellas would be
57 cheaper than a CPA, while others would be more expensive; but the
58 equation is more complicated, because we need to be careful about the
59 accounting of services that the umbrella would provide.
60
61 The equation therefore should be more of:
62 Cost(Umbrella) vs [Umbrella baseline without umbrella-provided expenses]
63
64 Regardless of the scale of the numbers, the change would REDUCE the
65 expenses, and increase the net revenue number (and thus also the
66 Umbrella's actual fee).
69 Robin Hugh Johnson
70 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
71 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
72 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
73 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136