From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:40:11
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:32:13 +0100
"Jan Bilek" <clonolu@×××××.com> wrote:

> I am not saying it's necessarily bad thing to be a bit slower than the > most bleeding-edge distros. Maybe it's because Gentoo has better QA > than for example Arch. Maybe this is just one of these things that > need to be explained to users - a communication issue again. But some > people claim it is because of a lack of manpower in Gentoo - in that > case we might want to re-think recruitment process.
There are several aspects here: - if people really want to be on the bleeding edge side they should use ~arch versions, but then they can't complain if things break from time to time as you can't have both bleeding edge and super stable at the same time. Many complaints that I've seen about Gentoo being "stale" were regarding the time it takes for a package to move from ~arch to stable. - the repository has grown quite a bit over the last years, and I don't think our human resources for ebuild maintenance have increased on the same scale (I'm not strictly talking about number of devs here) for various reasons. - over the last two years there has been a cultural shift that new packages/versions get first released in overlays rather than being added directly to the main repository - most other distros have probably improved wrt providing up2date packages, so the preceived difference is smaller than some years ago, and most complainers see that as Gentoos fault.
> > Arrogant? I'd imagine some are; I personally try not to be and I'm > > sure I fail at it quite often. > > > > I don't think Gentoo is a club for elitests > > I don't think that either. I just wanted to say that I had observed > many users who think so and many of them claim to have left Gentoo > because of that - which means there is something wrong with > communication again. Why are Gentoo developers perceived as arrogant? > Does the arrogant minority get more attention than decent majority? > Why?
This is probably related to our main bugwrangler, as he's often the first dev users interact with when they file a bug, and his comments can sometimes be a bit offending (I'd attribute that to the stress caused by dealing with all the incoming bug reports that are often of poor quality). Marius -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>