From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion] Refiling as a tax-exempt nonprofit.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 01:24:11
1 On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 05:11:40PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 4:49 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > I'm more open to this idea than I was in the past but I continue to have
7 > > concerns about recruiting board members who will execute the duties
8 > > required.
9 > >
10 > > What duties are these? As far as I'm aware you don't need the members
11 > > of the board to do much in order to be a non-profit, including a
12 > > 501c3.
15 > > There are certainly requirements for the Foundation as a whole, but I
16 > > don't believe there are many legal requirements for the board itself.
17 > > They could be addressed by bringing in expertise in non-board roles.
20 > > > - We could recruit outside members of the board who are not Gentoo
21 > > Developers, but had advocacy from other OSS projects.
22 > >
23 > > IMO this is a really bad idea. This basically hands legal control
24 > > over Gentoo to outsiders (at least in part). If we need their
25 > > expertise, why not have them do the work, but not place them on the
26 > > board? They could be made officers if necessary, since officers
27 > > legally don't have the final say over decisions.
30 > > IMO it would be better still to just hire them as employees and not
31 > > even make them officers. An officer merely needs to certify that
32 > > certain things were done correctly to the state - the officer doesn't
33 > > need to do them personally.
36 > From my perspective Gentoo was incorporated in 2004 and we didn't file
37 > taxes until 2019; 15 years later. My conclusion is that this is a problem.
38 > Maybe we can at least agree on that much. I would prefer to have confidence
39 > that in future, this problem will not recur. I'd nominally like to not be
40 > Foundation President forever as I keep a small corporation from imploding
41 > until I die. Maybe that's just me being selfish.
44 No one is forcing you to remain President. You chose to run, resign, and
45 run again. I don't think it is fair to say we are imploding either...
46 retain the bookkeeping and keep paying taxes while reincorporating as a
47 new 501c3.
48
49 > So yes I think a solution to this problem is to find more board members;
50 > because ultimately the "business of the foundation" is the thing the board
51 > members are *accountable* for. If we don't file taxes it's *on the board*.
52 > If we don't defend the trademark it's *on the board*.
56 The work is not finished, but once it is complete and folks are retained
57 I believe individuals will be much more likely to join the board.
58 Additionally, taking another look at the by-laws and other items would
59 be helpful.
62 > > > - We could try to recruit or modify the way individuals are recruiter
63 > > as Gentoo Developers, to make it easier to attract board members.
64 > > >
65
66 Yes please.
67
68 > > > I'd like to also discuss whatever foundational changes we might make in
69 > > a new set of bylaws besides simply board membership.
70 > >
71 > > I feel like we're having the tail wag the dog here. We're talking
72 > > about basically diluting the control of everybody who is recognized as
73 > > a contributor to bring in more outside people, in the hope that these
74 > > outsiders will file some paperwork.
77 > So for clarity, I'm suggesting that board members need not be foundation
78 > members. They would still be elected by the foundation members I'm not
79 > really following how this dilutes control...members had the same control as
80 > before?
83 I believe there is intentionally a "barrier" here to ensure that an
84 individual is motivated to support the distro and community. There are
85 some folks who are "professional" board members who interests are purely
86 business and not aligned with the goals of the non-profit. People really
87 make money on this crap. So, we need some "litmus" test to determine
88 that individuals are here for the right reasons. Unfortunately, it is
89 not always as easy as looking at their code and moving on.
93 > > If all you care about is paperwork just dissolve the Foundation
94 > > entirely, because in the US we have thousands of corporations that all
95 > > file their paperwork on time. Lots of paperwork will still get done
96 > > without Gentoo. Plenty of it will be done by FOSS-oriented
97 > > non-profits too.
100 > The Council runs the distribution, not the Foundation (or so I was led to
101 > believe ;))
104 I am sure this will start another flamewar, but the Foundation owns the
105 name, legal entity, infra, etc. The council runs the distro from a
106 technical perspective. Hence, don't believe all the things you
107 read/hear. Of course, we can balance this with proper by-laws and
108 ensuring the council gets to do what we (the distro) elect it to do.
111 Cheers,
112 Aaron