From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 00:21:50
1 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 18:35 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, neither the IRS nor the state of New Mexico is posting on this
4 > mailing list. Clearly from the responses of others there is in fact a
5 > controversy over whether a problem exists, and perhaps over the
6 > details of the requirements.
7
8 Yes and only facts will prove one way or another.
9
10 > Ok, so priority 1 has to be that all activity going forward is clearly
11 > documented.
12
13 The financial accountability aspect is mentioned in the by laws.
14
15 Section 6.2 Duties
16 #6
17 "...The Treasurer shall have custody of all corporate funds and
18 financial records, shall keep full and accurate accounts of receipts and
19 disbursements and render accounts thereof at the annual meetings of
20 members..."
21 http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/BylawsAdopted.xml#doc_chap6
22
23 > If there was some error or mess in the past, then by all means we
24 > should look into it. However, we may or may not ever be able to
25 > resolve it, depending on the state of the records. The current (and
26 > to be elected) board needs to held accountable for the things they did
27 > - and only in part for their ability to clean up something that
28 > happened in the past.
29
30 I do not hold any future board accountable for mistakes of the past. But
31 I do look to any current board to correct any mistakes of the past. Such
32 that they do not exist in the present.
33
34 > Sure, the issues of the past, if uncorrected, may cost us something.
35 > That alone doesn't mean that they can be corrected.
36
37 That is true, and if for some reason Gentoo has failed to file with the
38 IRS for three years or more. There is not much working around that.
39 Though theres seems to be a process to regain exempt status. Might
40 entail filing for a new entity, EIN, etc and going that route.
41
42 > I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't try to find out more - only that
43 > this may or may not end up being possible, and so it is what it is.
44
45 I am simply trying to find out more. Thus my first post started as
46 questions. If the paperwork had been filed. Links to those documents
47 would have sufficed as a response, and nothing further from me on the
48 matter.
49
50 > So, I'll agree that any reports required by law must be filed.
51
52 Not much to contest there :)
53
54 > Whether a CPA is required depends on the law and the complexity of the
55 > task. I don't doubt that the cost is significant - maybe not
56 > thousands of dollars, but they aren't going to do it for $50 unless it
57 > is a donation.
58
59 The ongoing cost should be very minor, few hundred at best.
60
61 > Also, in my experience accountants only work with what
62 > you give them - if your records aren't useful then they can't generate
63 > reports out of nothing. If your records are good enough to report on,
64 > then there is probably a decent chance we could do the reports
65 > ourselves, and rely on CPAs and attorneys only when there are issues
66 > in controversy, or for auditing.
67
68 Correct, they cannot make up stuff or fudge the numbers. They can only
69 go on what we provide them. Also with the stuff being rather basic, and
70 such low revenue annually. Its very likely it could be done in house.
71 Though can't hurt to have reviewed by a professional. There are many
72 ways to go about it.
73
74 > So, it sounds like there is debate over whether a problem even exists.
75 > I was listing possible issues, and your declaration that a problem
76 > exists obviously does not on its own make it so.
77
78 Yes and all it takes is some proof the annual filings have been done. It
79 would quickly end any debate or question over the matter.
80
81 > I think you misunderstood my point. You don't need to document
82 > something that you didn't do (sure, you might have to issue a no-op
83 > statement, but that's it). So, we should focus first on compliance,
84 > and second on activity. If we keep the reporting ahead of the
85 > activity then we will always be compliant.
86
87 Yes, we were misunderstanding each other happens. Right now things seem
88 to be a bit reversed. Some credit to those who donated, but not sure on
89 the compliance aspect. Do not have any documents or facts to go on
90 there.
91
92 > Regarding my qualifications - I never claimed to be a CPA, and neither
93 > are most directors in public companies (at least from what I've seen).
94 > The role of a director is primarily one of oversight normally,
95 > although the reality for Gentoo is that we need to get our hands
96 > dirty. I certainly have no objections to this.
97
98 Your cool, no worries. I was just making a point there, using you as an
99 example, sorry about that. You are correct though, you are being elected
100 to oversight. However since the structure is partial, any board member
101 or at least the first 4 tend to serve as officers as well. That is not a
102 role of oversight, but action.
103
104 > From what I've seen posted by the trustees in this thread we really
105 > don't have a serious issue to worry about here.
106
107 That is based on a single post and comments from one trustee. Who is not
108 the treasurer, so not sure about the accuracy of that statement. Not to
109 mention no documents or evidence to support the comments. Just a don't
110 worry its handled, and thats not good enough for me, sorry.
111
112 > Obviously if elected I will have full access to all material
113 > information and would confirm that this is in fact the case. If it
114 > isn't then we'll work TOGETHER to fix it. That last bit is actually
115 > pretty important - what's the point of Gentoo if we're throwing stones
116 > at each other?
117
118 I agree, and my intention then was to work with others. Now I am just
119 concerned it gets done. I am not willing to toss my hat into the ring,
120 because it was sent on fire last time.
121
122 That being said part of being a team is delegation and splitting up
123 tasks. When someone has to start doing tasks that another should be
124 doing, it starts to become problematic. More so when others get
125 involved, and just stand in the way of progress.
126
127 At times we all think we are helping each other out. But that is not
128 always the case, and at times we just get in others way.
129
130 > Again, I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't suggesting that
131 > we shouldn't accept money. My point was that if any particular
132 > transaction is unusually onerous from a reporting or legal standpoint,
133 > then we should consider that as part of the cost/benefit balance.
134
135 I have made the exact same argument to devrel about problems with
136 developers. Is it really worth involving every developer, taking action,
137 etc. Or just letting some matters go, weighing out the cost vs benefit
138 of taking action or inaction.
139
140 > If somebody wants to set up a trust to benefit Gentoo in the amount of
141 > $47, and that trust takes Gentoo 75 pages of accounting over the next
142 > 10 years to work out the reporting, then we should probably just ask
143 > them to write us a check or give it to somebody who can handle that.
144 > On the other hand, if that trust costs us writing the number $47 in
145 > line 8 of form ABC then we should take it.
146
147 Sure, but if Gentoo gets to a point of starting to fund its own
148 development. Who knows how far that $47 might go and might be worth the
149 time to deal with the accounting aspect. Though in reality there should
150 not be much time per any donation, large or small.
151
152 For some contributions like from PayPal that can likely be programmed ;)
155 > Again, priority 1 is that documentation for current activities is
156 > good.
157
158 Also publishing any filings, might be what you meant. Its not really
159 documenting current activities, but providing copies to the foundation
160 members and general public. Now if they document things they do, great.
161
162 > Priority 2 is that we catch up on old messes. You can't clean
163 > up a mess if you're making it worse every day.
164
165 Yes, and that I believe has been the state of things for some time. I
166 would love to be proven wrong, I really would :)
167
168 > And the current trustees seem to claim that all is in order.
169
170 A trustee, Roy's response was not saying yes the house is in order. Nor
171 any comment thus far from the treasurer, who has the duty of dealing
172 with the financial accounting, filings, etc.
173
174 > Well, I was trying to be constructive. If you care about Gentoo, and
175 > you're going to point out problems, then it doesn't hurt to suggest
176 > options for solutions. I won't be hurt if they aren't ultimately
177 > implemented.
178
179 Sure, I didn't meant to be negative or dismissive there. But I believe
180 Gentoo has resources already in place to provide the information
181 directly. It already provides meeting minutes, some quarterly
182 accounting, etc.
183
184 > If things are actually under control then perhaps the status quo is
185 > adequate.
186
187 Well the status quo all around in Gentoo needs to change, but thats some
188 what another story and larger matter :)
189
190 > Certainly I'd support increased transparency, like a webpage with
191 > periodic statements.
192
193 That exists, but its really not enough. Also doesn't seem to be any
194 annual stuff, just quarterly.
195
196 > The checkbook register need not be public -mainly because it probably
197 > contains details that might be personal/etc in nature.
198
199 I agree, but just about any transaction, current balance, etc can be
200 made public. Pretty sure thats the case now with the quarterly reports.
201 Though no real way to ensure they are accurate.
202
203 Not sure if the board are reviewing those things, or there are any
204 checks and balances in place. Like if anyone is keeping an eye out on
205 the treasurers activities, to make sure they don't make a mistake or
206 otherwise.
207
208 > > (Paraphrased)
209 > > You had commented on losing non-profit status/etc.
210 >
211 > I don't know that you specifically said anything incorrect, but there
212 > are a lot of common misconceptions out there around non-profit status
213 > and what that means as far as the IRS goes.
214
215 Yes, and I have been providing facts, links to the IRS site, as I did
216 back in 2008. But for some that is still not enough :)
217
218 > The IRS taxes corporations (that's what we are, legally) and
219 > businesses in general based on PROFIT. If you don't make a profit,
220 > then you don't owe taxes, period. You don't need any particular
221 > status to benefit from this.
222
223 You still have annual filing with the IRS. How do they know you are
224 pretending to be a non profit entity, operating as a for profit entity
225 just not paying taxes. The only way for the IRS to know otherwise is by
226 an entity doing annual filings with them.
227
228 "Small tax-exempt organizations whose annual gross receipts are normally
229 $25,000 or less ($50,000 for tax years ending on or after December 31,
230 2010) may be required to electronically submit Form 990-N, also known as
231 the e-Postcard, unless they choose to file a complete Form 990 or Form
232 990-EZ."
233 http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html
234
235 Which if the Foundation has ever filed any form. Its not hard to make
236 that available in PDF format or otherwise on g.o ;)
237
238 > 501(c)3 status is about allowing contributors to claim a tax deduction
239 > in the US on their donations.
240
241 I am very aware of that status.
242
243 > You can write a check to Microsoft right now, and there are no issues
244 > for Microsoft receiving that money (they just have to put it in their
245 > revenue, and pay taxes if not offset by a loss). However, you can't
246 > deduct that from your income for tax purposes. If you write that
247 > check to the American Red Cross you can, because they are 501(c)3.
248
249 Yes, and if an entity that has applied for 501c3, fails the audit that
250 comes after the 5th year. The status is revoked retroactively, so anyone
251 who contributed in the past and wrote that off as charitable, will in
252 theory have to change that to non-charitable.
253
254 I can't find the document on the IRS site, so this will have to suffice,
255 but I know it exists.
256 http://www.ewildagain.org/nonprofit/501c3.htm#audit
257
258 It came up before back in 2008. Also I came across a document for
259 FreeBSD Foundation showing they made it pass the 5 year period.
260
261 "December 31st of this year will mark the end of the FreeBSD
262 Foundation's probationary period as a 501(c)3. The IRS requires all
263 non-profit public charities to prove, at the five year mark, that they
264 have met the "public support test" or be classified as a private
265 foundation. "
266 http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/press/20041221-newsletter.shtml
267
268 > In summary:
269 >
270 > Bottom line is that I'm all for transparency. However, I'm not going
271 > to accuse the current trustees of not doing their job unless I have
272 > evidence that this is actually the case.
273
274 Well actually thats reversed, we should not assume they are doing their
275 job, without providing any evidence. If evidence is provided from the
276 other end its not good.
277
278 > Sure, I'd love to see more transparency, and we can work
279 > constructively to have that. However, if our interests REALLY are the
280 > welfare of Gentoo we can do that without making accusations.
281
282 It does not take long or much effort to disprove any accusations if they
283 have no merit. The fact that no document has been provided thus far,
284 makes me only doubt further what others have said. There is nothing to
285 back up their comments.
286
287 > How about a simple "Hey, I was curious if Gentoo's financial
288 > statements are posted anywhere public. Can you point them out, or is
289 > there some way we can work towards making them public?" This is much
290 > more constructive than starting with "I know you're hiding something -
291 > prove that you aren't!"
292
293 Did you read my first post? Granted it should have been phrased more as
294 a question. But if either returns, forms, or anything had been filed. It
295 really would not take much to reply to my post with links. Even if the
296 stuff needed to be uploaded. Could just reply, give us some time and we
297 will provide you links to the documents.
298
299 That a thread has gone on, and the one trustee to comment thus far did
300 it with a lengthy reply, and no comment from treasurer. Again it only
301 helps to reinforce my stance of questioning that any of this has been
302 done at all.
303
304 > If you're looking for somebody who is going to antagonize anybody
305 > trying to help out until they all quit then by all means don't elect
306 > me to the trustees.
307
308 Funny, if you read my manifesto, I told people not to vote for me. But
309 it was based around time, not antagonizing people. However be forewarned
310 as a trustee, that is exactly what might happen to you. I was most
311 definitely antagonized quite a bit. Which lead to my behavior becoming
312 unruly before. Really like to see how others react or would have reacted
313 in similar circumstances.
314
315 > I'm all for compliance and am willing to pitch in to help out.
316
317 Just as I was back in 2008. Question then becomes what happened? Why was
318 I unable to help out further? :)
319
320 > I'm fine with hiring professional help when that makes sense. What
321 > I'm not for is stirring the pot just to make people run around.
322
323 I did nothing since I left in 2008. Have things gotten any better? Read
324 this article and tell me if Gentoo is any different now.
325 http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070312
326
327 Also if you look at the nfp stats. I was stirring the pot then. Once I
328 went away, the list went dead.
329 http://archives.gentoo.org/stats/gentoo-nfp-per-year.xml
330
331 Now if you think about it, is stirring the pot a bad saying or to do? If
332 your cooking something and you don't stir the pot what happens? Even if
333 you making reduction sauce, you stir it occasionally :)
334
335 People really need not see stirring the pot as a bad thing. The status
336 quo is not good, and anyone who dislikes the pot being stirred is just
337 in fear or change or controversy.
338
339 But end of the day, if things were being taken care of there wouldn't be
340 a pot to stir. Someone would be doing that already on an active and
341 ongoing basis. If I am wrong about all this, no big deal. But if I am
342 right, and I said nothing and didn't stir the pot. How does that help
343 Gentoo? Neglect is much more harmful than any pot stirring.
346 William L. Thomson Jr.
347 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
348 http://www.obsidian-studios.com