From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: extend inactivity removal to all members
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 18:22:43
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 Following the recent discussion, I would like to propose updating
4 the Foundation bylaws to provide uniform 'removal for inactivity' for
5 all Foundation members.
6
7 More specifically, I propose changing the first two paragraphs
8 of section 4.4 (Continuation of Membership) from:
9
10 Full members who remain Gentoo developers shall have their membership
11 continued until it is terminated in accordance with 4.8 or 4.9.
12
13 Full members who retire from the Gentoo project shall have there
14 membership continued while they indicate that they remain interested
15 in the affairs of the Foundation unless their membership is
16 terminated in accordance with 4.8 or 4.9.
17
18 to:
19
20 Full members shall have their membership continued while they indicate
21 that they remain interested in the affairs of the Foundation, unless
22 their membership is terminated in accordance with 4.8 or 4.9.
23
24 (leaving the last paragraph unchanged)
27 This means to solve two problems:
28
29 1. Technically, the inactivity-removal procedure does not apply to non-
30 developer Foundation members, and given that unlike regular developers
31 they won't become 'retired developers', they would never be removed.
32
33 2. The active developer status restriction doesn't seem to have much
34 value. On one hand, it probably makes sense because the removed
35 developer could reapply for membership right away, so forcefully
36 removing him seems pointless. On the other hand, there's no point to
37 prevent Trustees from cleaning up the member list periodically if some
38 of the devs don't really want to stay.
39
40 That said, I think the new wording would make the removal procedure
41 cleaner and more fair, as the removal rules would be the same for all
42 Foundation members and the list could be determined from a single data
43 source.
44
45 [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws#Section_4.4._Continuation_of_Membership
48 Best regards,