From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: trustees <trustees@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Gentoo Foundation Trustees 202106 Election Results
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 21:19:27
1 On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 4:32 PM Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
2 (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Based on that here is some action items:
5 > * The agenda of the AGM should be updated to reflect section 5.4 (elect number of trustees).
6
7 IMO it is unnecessary to explicitly affirm the same number annually,
8 but I suppose it can be done. I think the intent of that bylaw was to
9 state that the time to change the number of slots is at the AGM, which
10 generally makes sense (though this provision could be amended at any
11 time).
12
13 > * If you really do want or not want alicef on the foundation you should attend the AGM and vote on that item to have 5 (or more) or 4 (or less) trustees. This is how the tie should be decided in this particular case given the bylaws.
14
15 The trustees should be attending the AGM anyway, and nobody else gets
16 to vote there. I just wanted to clarify that because the wording of
17 your statement might be taken to imply that if people show up to the
18 AGM they get some sort of voting rights. Those voting rights were
19 already exercised in the election which just concluded. The Trustees
20 could put items up for a vote, but my reading of the bylaws suggests
21 that they couldn't do this unless 1/3rd of all members are present to
22 constitute a quorum.
23
24 If your intent is to put the number of trustees up for a vote every
25 year by all the members, it would make a lot more sense to do it in an
26 election process (in a similar manner to how we elect the trustees
27 themselves). Otherwise anybody who couldn't attend the AGM online
28 wouldn't be able to participate, which is probably going to
29 systematically disadvantage people in certain timezones.
30
31 IMO giving everybody the option to change the number of trustees every
32 year seems unnecessary, but if we wanted to have some sort of
33 two-stage election process where we first vote for the number of slots
34 and then vote for those occupying them, I guess it is possible.
35 Really though it seems easier to just elect trustees who will support
36 the number of slots desired by the members.
37
38 I get that this is a somewhat sensitive topic due to the nature of
39 elections and the recent outcome, but this obviously wasn't really
40 something that was thought through, and this is actually the first
41 time anybody has even had the chance to vote for the reopen option.
42
43 IMO the simplest option is to just leave alicef in her position at
44 least in the interim, inquire via the lists if anybody else wants to
45 run, and then if there are other candidates hold another election. If
46 nobody else has an interest the Trustees could just appoint alicef (or
47 anybody else) to the slot.
48
49 Honestly, this situation is making me question the point of even
50 having the reopen option. If we were going to just operate with an
51 unoccupied chair that might be one thing, but it seems like the time
52 for others to step up to run is during the initial election. Having
53 the voters say we don't like the options doesn't really help, and it
54 just creates a somewhat adversarial situation. I'm not sure that
55 operating with less than a full set of board members is good idea -
56 maybe if we had a dozen of them it wouldn't be a big deal to have
57 empty seats, but with only 5 the org really opens itself up to serious
58 problems if it has one or more positions vacant, like 1-2 people being
59 able to take unilateral action, bus factor, and so on.
63 Rich