From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:58:00
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.05.28 19:48, Colonel Panic wrote:
5 > Re:http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/
6 >
7 > "In order to sustain the current quality and development swiftness
8 > the
9 > Gentoo project needs a framework for intellectual property protection
10 > and financial contributions while limiting the contributors' legal
11 > exposure."
12 >
13 > Such a framework should be an ethical one, in that it should be fair
14 > and just and not misleading in any way. Ideally reference to the
15 > misnomer of intellectual property should replaced by recognition of
16 > the ongoing benefit which arises from constructive input, whether it
17 > be a bug report or a complete software management system.
18 >
19 [snip]
20
21 Now there is a minefield for the ethics project.
22 There is no universal standard of ethics. Standards vary from region to
23 region and time to time. They are all 'right' of course, in that they
24 suit their subscribers.
25
26 The Gentoo Foundation has very little intellectual property and its
27 growing slowly if at all. Some history is probably in order.
28 Gentoo under Daniel Robbins was quite different that it is today.
29 Developers were asked to sign over copyright in their contributions to
30 Gentoo Technologies Inc, which was a company set up by Daniel.
31 When Daniel left Gentoo and set up the Gentoo Foundation, the
32 intellectual property belonging to Gentoo Technologies Inc was signed
33 over to the Foundation. That's a simplification but is a high level
34 overview of how we got to where we are today.
35 Around the same time as Daniel leaving, the copyright assignment
36 stopped happening. Perhaps devs who have been around longer than me can
37 clarify.
38
39 Reinstating copyright assignment (to the Foundation) has been touched
40 on but is very complex as laws relating to copyright vary around the
41 world. e.g. In Germany, you cannot assign your copyright to another
42 party. In the UK, draconian employment laws mean the copyright in
43 anything you do in your own time on your own equipment may belong to
44 your
45 employer, so its not yours to assign in the first place.
46
47 Thus the Gentoo Foundation only has what it inherited from Gentoo
48 Technologies Inc and any contributions made since by devs that have
49 signed over copyright.
50
51 The idea of centrally held copyright for open source at least, is that
52 it is easier to enforce. When everyone keeps their own copyright,
53 enforcement has to be done by all the copyright holders acting
54 together.
55
56 There is lots there to discuss, so I have snipped the rest for now.
57
58 - --
59 Regards,
60