From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo NPO Business Model thoughts
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:12:24
1 Ok by no means is this complete, covering all details, etc and so on.
2 It's just initial thoughts on a concept I have had for a few months now.
3 I have brought it up to some on occasion, in person, irc, email, etc. I
4 have receive mixed feedback. Hoping to open that up a bit more here.
5
6 In brief, which needs MUCH expanding upon. My concept is basically for
7 Gentoo to remain the type of NPO that one can NOT donate to. Then write
8 off that donation as a charitable expense. That is not saying businesses
9 could not write it contributions or bills, just would be classified
10 differently.
11
12 Instead Gentoo would be the type of NPO that would have it's own NON
13 PROFIT generating revenue stream via paid services, outside
14 funding/contributions ( not donations but funders/contributors could
15 still expense ), and via other means like schwag, etc. To generate
16 revenue, Gentoo would also have/require paid employees, developers
17 ( ebuild and internal ), administrators ( gwn, docs, etc ), system
18 admins ( infra, etc ), along with volunteer contributors.
19
20 Which volunteering MIGHT be one means to get hired eventually. A
21 particularly hairy and complicated detail to work out. As well as
22 leadership, CEO, CTO, board, council, etc. Paid? Amounts? Office
23 location? Remote distributed, etc and so on.
24
25 Think the world's OS. A NPO company existing to put out the best
26 operating system in the world for free and for the benefit of all. Along
27 with services to back it up for those with the need, like enterprises.
28 All WITHOUT a profit driven bottom line. Just consumer/world interest.
29 In a nutshell Gentoo would kinda be like the RedCross.
30
31 Since at the end of the day, there are no shareholders. No investors. No
32 one with a profit based interest in the business. Any profits the
33 business did generate. Would go back to the business in the form of
34 higher employee wadges, provide equipment vs each purchasing their own,
35 Office space?, Gentoo World Developer Conference and Expo :), with paid
36 travel and ezpenses for all employees/volunteers, etc. As always more
37 ways to spend the $ than make it. But spending $ is surely a better
38 requirement than having to make it for a shareholder/investor :)
39
40 Not sure what the details there are for a NPO wrt to generating money,
41 having reserves/savings, etc. My model for comparison there is one of
42 the most profitable NPO's that most are not even aware is a NPO. The PGA
43 Tour, based in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL. Just outside of Jacksonville.
44 Which IBM is a MAJOR corporate sponsor off. Also one CAN NOT donate $ to
45 the PGA Tour and write it off. It's not that type of NPO, and they do
46 make some serious $. But also give more away than most companies. Which
47 is likely a NPO requirement. But it's not like that $ goes in
48 individuals pockets. Other than employees, board members, etc. Not
49 shareholders or investors. Maybe the players, but that's another
50 story. :) Maybe Tiger earned it :)
51
52 There are MILLIONS of details to be worked out. This might not even be a
53 concept that could work. I don't believe it's a model in existence yet,
54 and therefore would be some what revolutionary. I do feel it could be a
55 viable one if the details are worked out, and it given a go. Considering
56 like Canonical, RedHat, etc have a working model based on profit. Should
57 be even easier without the profit/growth requirement. Granted there will
58 be other hurdles.
59
60 Some of the first feedback that came in was things like. Why create a
61 structure like the Mozilla Foundation, with it's Mozilla Corporation and
62 etc. While that's one way to go, I am not sure that would fit for
63 Gentoo. Some do feel that's a more viable option that what I propose.
64 The SFC, is another way to go as well. There are likely other possible
65 options to pursue as well.
66
67 I feel strongly that this is the best course of action. At least to make
68 an attempt at. There is nothing saying any of the above or others
69 couldn't be used as a fall back if the idea failed or etc. Considering
70 all we are talking about legally is filing basically similar paper work
71 before, and coming up with leadership. Beyond just council, and
72 foundation, like CEO, CTO etc. It's likely the council/foundation
73 council replace any board. But a separate board might need to be
74 created. If it wasn't created, then CEO would be like the leader of the
75 foundation, so to speak. And CTO would be council lead or etc.
76
77 Begin discussion.
78
79 PERSONAL INTEREST DISCLOSURE
80
81 Beyond this being an idea of mine. I have no personal interest in it or
82 motivation. I have no ideas of a position in mind for myself. Or
83 anything along those lines. I am self employed with my own business to
84 grow and so on. Therefore if this idea moves forward or not. It's not a
85 big deal to me either way. Other than I would be happy to see it move
86 forward, and some what sad/curious if it did not. What could have
87 been? :) Although I wouldn't turn down a position or offer in advance.
88 There are MANY others I feel should be paid long before I was ever
89 considered. If ever.
90
91 I would be more than happy with just getting the credit for being the
92 father of the idea/model. Hopefully that will allow others to view this
93 concept with an open mind, and KNOW that I have no personal motivating
94 factor for pushing the idea. Other than supporting my brilliance or
95 insanity :)
96
97 I am willing to do pretty much what ever to help get this idea off the
98 ground though. If others are interested and see a little of what I do in
99 the potential benefits. If it all works out.
102 William L. Thomson Jr.
103 Gentoo/Java