From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "gentoo-nfp@l.g.o" <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Forming Gentoo Policy - Copyright Assignment and Attribution
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 23:12:47
1 On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > No change intended. This is what happens when you send a thirty second
3 > follow-up to a policy formed over two weeks, and then step away to eat...
4
5 So, clarification now that I'm back at a keyboard...
6
7 DCO is mandatory, and is simply a declaration that the committer has
8 checked and the new code is distributed under the license chosen for
9 the project (see original email for details, but generally
10 GPL/BSD/etc). The Linux kernel is the main model for this. Since
11 Gentoo is not always being assigned copyright we need to have a clear
12 declaration that the code is available under a suitable free license
13 so that we can further distribute it.
14
15 FLA is optional, and is essentially a copyright assignment (or
16 reasonable facsimile in certain jurisdictions designed by the FSFe).
17 KDE is the main model for this.
18
19 But, to whatever extent that anything I just wrote disagrees with the
20 original email, just read the original email. The original email was
21 carefully proofread by the Trustees, the rest is just
22 discussion/reminders/etc. The final policy will be even more
23 carefully reviewed. The whole bit about mandatory copyright
24 assignment was dropped after the last round of discussion for all the
25 reasons that have just been rehashed...
26
27 Rich