From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: 'gentoo-nfp' <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: 'gentoo-council' <gentoo-council@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] RE: [gentoo-council] Foundation by laws: new Article V
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:42:54
1 I wanted to add two things to my previous email
2
3 > Refer to bylaws that were approved in today's Trustee meeting:
4 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~neddyseagoon/docs/FoundationBylawsProposed_7.xml
5
6 > I cannot understand why a person cannot be on the Council and on the
7 > Trustees? We had someone do so in the past and no conflicts or issues
8 > arose. What is the reasoning that a person cannot serve on the
9 > technical team and the legal team?
10 >
11 > Please note: that I do not see validity in the statement 'what if
12 > Council asks for money and dual role person on the Trustee approves
13 > it' as I think that person would hold the same opinion regardless of
14 > being on both teams unless we are saying that we cannot trust our
15 > Council people to not make decisions in the best interest of Gentoo.
16
17 ========================================
18 <addition>
19 From the Gentoo Foundation Charter page:
20 "... the Gentoo project needs a framework for intellectual property
21 protection and financial contributions while limiting the contributors'
22 legal exposure. The Gentoo Foundation will embody this framework without
23 intervening in the Gentoo development."
24
25 If the Trustees are not supposed to intervene in Gentoo development, that
26 being the technical direction of Gentoo, aren't they are in direct violation
27 of this by determining who cannot be a Council member by their own
28 membership?
29
30 ========================================
31 <second addition>
32 Fmccor voted today that there should be a separation of Trustees and
33 Council. I see a direct conflict in how he was a Trustee and ran for
34 Council, but after not being elected he has now decided that no one else can
35 do it either? He accepted his own Council nomination on 2008-06-05 and
36 responded to a series of 'questions to our nominees' on the same date.
37 From his own email response:
38 > > 4. How do you think the council and trustees can work together to
39 > > make Gentoo better?
40 > I'm already a trustee, so having a council member who is a trustee is
41 > a start.