From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation by laws: new Article V
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:38:37
1 On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 08:55 -0400, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > I figured I'd raise an issue that is probably worth thinking about which
4 > doesn't appear to have come up. In the past the largest point of
5 > failure for the trustees has been simply not having enough of them.
6
7 That is due to lack of interest. There was nothing stopping people from
8 running for both in the past. Yet still not enough were even interested
9 in 07.
10
11 > In my thinking, if the only thing the trustees did was attend a 5 minute
12 > monthly meeting, cut the odd check to somebody helping out the
13 > organization, and renew the annual paperwork that would be a success.
14
15 There is more to it than that. If it was a minimal time thing, the
16 foundation would be successful. There is much work to be done, and it's
17 damn near part time or full time. Do not think it's anything less.
18 People assuming such explain why not even a fraction of the requirements
19 for running the foundation each year. Were not met since 05.
20
21 > My personal opinion is that the trustees would do best to focus on
22 > making the foundation minimally functional (ie all essential legal
23 > paperwork in place - drop anything controversial and focus on bylaws
24 > that all can agree to).
25
26 Well technically the trustees themselves just have to agree on bylaws.
27 So far there has only be maybe one or two speaking out against them.
28 That's hardly enough to change the bylaws. Or assume that the majority
29 disagrees. But they trustees do not need to seek approval for their
30 actions. Which they are doing in what they feel is in the best interest
31 of Gentoo.
32
33 > Then it should really look to try to join an
34 > unbrella organization that will handle the routine issues. That will
35 > actually free up trustees to provide more high-level guidance to the
36 > organization without getting tied up in administration.
37
38 There HUGE issues with joining an umbrella. I am really getting tired of
39 mentioning the reasoning. When people ignore them and just spit out the
40 same comments over and over.
41
42 If we go with an umbrella organization we have a single contact to them.
43 That is not acceptable. We cannot have one responsible for all
44 communication, finances, legal issues, etc. That one would likely become
45 a liaison between Gentoo trustees and the umbrella.
48 William L. Thomson Jr.
49 Gentoo Linux Developer