From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: Lower the member quorum to 1/10
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 18:53:29
1 On 18-06-03 14:07:30, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 10:32 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Currently bylaws section 3.9 "Member Quorum" says in its first
5 > > paragraph:
6 > >
7 > > | Except as otherwise required by law, by the Certificate of
8 > > | Incorporation or by these Bylaws, one-third (1/3) of the members
9 > > | entitled to vote, represented in person, shall constitute a quorum
10 > > | at a meeting of members.
13 > <snip>
16 > > a) I therefore propose to lower to the member quorum in section 3.9
17 > > to the default value provided by law, namely to 1/10. Also, members
18 > > who cannot participate (e.g. because they are located in an adverse
19 > > timezone) should be able to be represented by a proxy:
20 > >
21 > > b) If the above should not be accepted, I propose to only lower the
22 > > quorum (i.e., no proxies):
25 > <snip>
29 > > Ulrich
32 > I don't recall if on previous bylaws discussions I've argued this point or
33 > not, or if it's even acceptable under US Law, but on Portugal, the rules
34 > for Associations Assemblies, to allow for decisions even when most members
35 > don't show up, allow to use the following on meeting announcements:
36 >
37 > A meeting announcement needs to be sent at least 8 days in advance by
38 > registered mail. The announcement sets the date and hour for the meeting
39 > and requires 50% of attendance. If there isn't a quorum, the announcement
40 > states that 30 minutes later the meeting will be held with as many members
41 > as are present.
42 >
43 > So, if possible by US Law, I'd argue we change the bylaws to state that the
44 > quorum shall be 1/3 or 1/10, but that if for any meeting there isn't a
45 > quorum, the meeting will be held 30 minutes later with as many members as
46 > are present.
49 We don't have that 30 minute rule and still need quorum for voting as
50 far as I know.
53 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)