From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Spending money authority
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:30:38
1 Alistair Bush wrote:
2 > Richard Freeman wrote:
3 >> Well, if the two bodies have the same constituency I can't see this
4 >> being too likely to happen.
5 >
6 > Why? There are plenty of examples within democracies of Governments
7 > ignoring their constituency when passing law's etc.
10 Yes - and when this does happen - it tends to happen regardless of the
11 checks and balances that are put into place.
14 > Except that a fork doesn't limit the foundations powers, it just
15 > influences the state of Gentoo after all the developers abandon it.
18 If a majority of developers abandon Gentoo (a drastic outcome, I'll
19 admit), I think we can all agree that the state of Gentoo will be far
20 worse than it is now. This is something to be avoided, which in
21 practice limits the foundation's powers, unless the foundation is more
22 focused on proving a point than furthering Gentoo.
25 > Really? You read the news don't you? Have learnt some history? Why do
26 > you think most governments have Upper and Lower Houses?
27
28 As a check and balance - but in the case of a government we're talking
29 bodies that govern millions of people - not 100 or so. Also - in most
30 cases the upper and lower houses tend to have the same constituencies
31 (which is my whole point). Governments also have sources of revenue
32 sufficient to fund their operation - they don't rely on volunteers to
33 any large degree. That enables them to survive for quite a long time
34 even when they are highly inefficient - if Gentoo were as well-run as a
35 typical government I think most of us would find better places to devote
36 our energy.
37
38 > There is one
39 > thing that I want to make clear. I don't want to overly formalise the
40 > whole governance structure gentoo, but I also don't want it to be
41 > ad-hoc. The one problem I see is that Conventions will never work
42 > within an open-source org as developers will change them willy nilly to
43 > prove a point. Therefore, I believe, we need some simple, easy to
44 > follow rules.
47 No argument there. But keep in mind that the devs should drive the
48 rules - not the other way around.
49
50 >> Both groups have the needs of Gentoo at heart, and as a result
51 >> neither can afford to start a war with the other...
52 >
53 > And yet that won't stop a war from happening. At least if both the
54 > Foundation and the Council have the right to call elections then the
55 > power rest firmly with those who vote. If for instance the Foundation
56 > were to dismiss the Council against the wishes of the large dev
57 > community I would expect the community to vote the Council members back
58 > in and give the Foundation its marching orders.
61 Again, that is fine - as long as both have the same constituency. If
62 they have different constituencies then this could turn into a huge mess
63 - as both groups would keep getting re-elected by their different
64 constituencies, and the issues wouldn't actually get resolved.
65
66 My argument isn't really one of what the council/trustee's authority
67 should be. My point is that for gentoo to be successful these groups
68 need to work well together. We can't really afford for either group to
69 discover a mandate to be an overseer to the other - it will just lead to
70 a massive waste of resources that will only serve to weaken the distro.
71 I don't think it is constructive when we dream up all kinds of
72 scenarios where the two bodies can enter into open war against the other.
73 --
74 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list