From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-managers@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: I met with my lawyer
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:33:32
On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 02:02:09AM +0200, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
> Do we have to trust the people you have made commitments to, and which > are going to be selected by gentoos sole FP entity (because that is the > only thing you have been doing lately)? > I wouldn't want to be part of that NFP board, because people could say > that I'm one of guys you made a secret commitment with.
I think this is being paranoid. Daniel's intention here is to make sure that the creation of the NFP doesn't take too long so that people *see* that advances are made. Using a preliminary board of trustees until everything settles is frequently used. This is clearly mentioned: """ This initial board of trustees will serve for one year from the establishment of the Gentoo Foundation, after which point a the board will be elected by the members (Gentoo developers.) After that, regular elections will be held (election cycle TBD) to determine board members. """ The wording Daniel used is a bit unthoughtful (the "meet my commitments to existing managers and developers") and should probably be read as something like: """ There will be an initial board of trustees appointed which will guide the NFP through its first year. To ease the transitioning, this board will consist out of (a subset of) the current "top level managers" and a few other developers which have contributed significantly to Gentoo. Note that this board is initial and temporary and that elections will happen when the NFP transition is finished. """ Or something similar. Don't try and take each letter in a word and put it upside down - we are not formally deriving a proof for a mathematical theorem, we are dealing here with a big, large project filled with motivated people who want to work on whatever they like without having to go through too much hassle. People never had or have issues with coördinators (or managers or whatever you like to call them) as long as those people don't try to hide themselves behind rules and regulations and pretend to be more than just a developer interested in the coördination (and therefore future) of Gentoo. I'm very disappointed with what I had to catch up on on -core. I'm glad that positive results are being created *again* which is a good sign for the healthiness of this project. All issues we might have had have been resolved in the past and will be resolved in the future as well. Daniel: I agree with the spirit of your proposal. I don't personally care if you have a "perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free use" of the "Gentoo" trademark and "G" logo or a gentlemen's agreement. If you weren't trustworthy I would've left Gentoo a long time ago. In this sense I think the former is a better agreement as "a gentlemen's agreement" will lead to discussions again. Wkr, Sven Vermeulen -- ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good. (oo) Sven Vermeulen (__) Documentation & PR