From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:48:16
1 At first I thought two classes of members was not necessary, nor did it
2 make sense. I still feel that way in the current sense of the two
3 classes as the bylaws read now. However further thought on how we can
4 open up our membership base, and also how we might bring additional
5 funds to Gentoo.
6
7 I am thinking we go with two classes of members, individual and business
8 class.
9
10 Where individuals are free to join the foundation. Completing some basic
11 application/form, and agreeing to things like the GSC, or etc. Some
12 basic common requirement for screening purposes, within reason. The same
13 process would apply for businesses as well. But depending on the size of
14 the organization. We would have a tiered fee structure which they are
15 required to pay before joining foundation.
16
17 Finally any business would appoint a representative. Which that person
18 would not qualify to be an individual foundation member. Since they
19 would essentially have access to two votes.
22 I believe this might be kinda controversial, maybe not. This really
23 doesn't do anything for businesses. 1 vote as a member on the foundation
24 doesn't really do anything. But at least gives them a voice. Plus helps
25 bring some $ to the foundation, and opens up membership base.
26
27 Just some thoughts, totally open for all input, and discussions on this
28 topic.
31 William L. Thomson Jr.
32 amd64/Java/Trustees
33 Gentoo Foundation