From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Social contract and its effect on upstream software choices
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 02:04:16
1 On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:25 PM Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 12:57 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> blah blah blah
6
7 My goal was to offer information. IMO this is unwarranted.
8
9 > Yeah, right. I work my ass off on this crap job all day and make peanuts. It's weird though, because in theory I could be a billionaire.
10
11 I don't recall anybody making this personal or mentioning you in any way?
14 > Knowing that gitlab.com is neither CE nor EE, and that there's this
15 > hosting thing to self-hosted, we couldn't spin up a proper GitLab
16 > service like the one on gitlab.com overnight if they pulled the plug
17 > on us. In other words, making use of and relying on their hosting,
18 > even using only CE features, would make us totally dependent on them,
19 > and hence not respecting our social contract.
20
21 Are you suggesting that we can't make use of hosted FOSS-only
22 solutions because that would make us dependent on somebody else?
23
24 I completely agree that this needs to be done cautiously, but in the
25 case of FOSS-only externally hosted solutions I don't see how this is
26 contrary to the social contract.
27
28 Now, in the case of gitlab.com I can see the argument that the
29 software they're hosting isn't purely FOSS, so it is much more of a
30 judgement call. However, I don't think this has anything to do with
31 the fact that it is hosted, but just with the fact that it isn't
32 purely FOSS.
33
34 Again, I'm speaking to the social contract, which was the main topic
35 of this thread. Practical concerns around any kind of externally
36 hosted solution are completely valid, but IMO a separate issue.
37
38 > I happen to know someone too. Someone who has spent 100% of his time
39 > for the better part of the last two years setting up such a service
40 > at a large company with a platinum GitLab license. This person is
41 > currently sitting between my keyboard and my chair.
42
43 So, I wasn't suggesting that anybody listen to me as some kind of
44 expert on GitLab. Since the topic of gitlab.com came up, and I had
45 information that perhaps not everybody else had, I felt it would be
46 helpful to share it. I mentioned (vaguely) the source of the info
47 because that sort of thing is useful when vetting information. If it
48 were a strong concern I wouldn't be surprised if we could (perhaps
49 privately) obtain formal assurances around this from GitLab, if that
50 would sway any decisions one way or another.
51
52 I'm not advocating for or against the use of GitLab here, whether
53 self-hosted or hosted by them. gitlab.com was mentioned, and I
54 figured I'd add something to the discussion, If the information isn't
55 useful, well, don't use it.
56
57 And if you just wanted to say that you think it is wiser not to rely
58 on anything externally-hosted whether it is FOSS or not, that could
59 have been done in a sentence, and would IMO be a completely reasonable
60 argument.
61
62 Apologies if I misinterpreted the mood of your email. It just seemed
63 half-worded like a personal attack, in what is otherwise a pretty
64 straightforward discussion around the social contract...
67 Rich