From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 18:35:33
1 On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 11/06/16 21:32, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > The foundation currently has 1 member type (in the bylaws) but Gentoo
5 > > itself still seems to have 2 (Gentoo staff and Ebuild developer)
6 > >
7 > Which is a problem in exactly what way? What actual practical benefit is
8 > being sought by means of this proposal?
11 > > This motion represents an idea that the community itself would only have
12 > 1
13 > > contributor type.
14 > >
15 > > 1) Contributors must take the staff quiz (which we should rename to the
16 > > contributor quiz.)
17 > >
18 > Which is already a a subset of the developer quiz, with the exception of
19 > two questions that are unique to the staff quiz. If you want devs to be
20 > required to describe what ~ARCH is and whether users need to know what
21 > EAPI is, there are less labor intensive ways of achieving that goal.
22 > Also, are you seriously proposing that anyone who submits a patch or
23 > files a bug or helps other users in any of the various support channels
24 > must take a quiz first, or do they not "contribute"?
27 I am not seriously proposing that, no.
31 > > 2) Contributors are encouraged to be foundation members, but membership
32 > is
33 > > not required. We may amend the contributor onboarding process to offer
34 > > foundation membership at the time they join Gentoo as a contributor.
35 > >
36 > Which is the status quo, just with the proposed renaming.
37 >
38 > > 3) Contributors that want access to the gentoo ebuild repository still
39 > need
40 > > to follow the normal recruiting process (ebuild quiz, mentor, 30 day
41 > > period.)
42 > >
43 > So, again, effectively the status quo.
44 > > 4) Contributors that do not want access to the gentoo ebuild repository
45 > > (because they contribute in other ways) do not need to take the ebuild
46 > > quiz. Its unclear if a 30 day grace period is required for non-ebuild
47 > > groups.
48 > >
49 > And, yet again, the status quo.
50 >
51 > > 5) Existing developers and staff are rebranded as contributors.
52 > >
53 > Why "rebrand" anyone?
56 I primarily want to avoid bifurcation of the developership.
60 > > If approved, I expect a few months of working with comrel to adjust
61 > > existing policy documents and recruiting guidelines to implement.
62 > >
63 > Does comrel really need more to do? Even merely dropping the staff quiz
64 > questions from the developer quiz and changing all documentation to
65 > describe everyone as a "contributor" takes time, and you introduce
66 > another round of quiz taking for new ebuild developers when taking too
67 > much time to get through the quizzes is already probably the most
68 > commonly complained about part of recruiting new ebuild developers.
69 > > -A
73 I would of course be the guy owning most of that work (editing documents,
74 while annoying, is well within my capabilities.)
75
76 I think the quiz question is a fair point, I'll consider mitigation in
77 future iterations.
78
79 -A