From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Software in Public Interest, cont...
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:10:57
On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:26 -0500, Yuri Vasilevski wrote:
> > Back to the issue, taking into account the corrections that Ferris > McCormick kindly added and the positivism I sensed in his response, I > talked with Bdale Garbee regarding us, Gentoo Fundation, joining the > SPI and discussed the previous e-mail I sent as well as fmccor's replay.
Thank you but at this time I would prefer as an individual and trustee that you not be asking or pursuing information from the SPI. If you look in archives I contacted them official months ago. Most all interactions were cc'd to -nfp list. We are not proceeding with them at this time. I am not sure if we will ever hand over the foundation to an outside entity. We are doing the complete opposite over the past several months. Working on getting the foundation standing on it's own. Not preparing or working to hand it over to another.
> And he already talked with a couple other board members and they both > agree that it'd be great to have Gentoo as an associated project.
That is no change from when I talked to them. They fund themselves via 5% of donations to associated projects. So they can afford to take us on pretty much when ever.
> So I think that we really should approach them for our inclusion.
We did, it's not an option on the table now. Please come to a foundation meeting if you want to suggest such things. Plus this is a discussion already had. It's not a direction we are really considering at this time. Which is what I told the contact at the SPI I was communicating with several months back. In a more official capacity. When I ended communications with them, because we were not interested in proceeding.
> I was > told that the process should be the following, we need to let them know > that we would like to join with a specific one person contact address
And that's a hug road block to me. One contact from Gentoo to the SPI. That will not work for us. -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-nfp] Software in Public Interest, cont... Yuri Vasilevski <yvasilev@g.o>