From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:43:56
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2008.02.13 01:44, Steve Long wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
5 >
6 >> ... I'd rather see the Foundation
7 >> employing a professional administrator, hiring a lawyer and an
8 >> accountant,
9 >> with oversight by the Trustees. Either that or hand those
10 >> responsibilities
11 >> over to the SFC/SPI. I don't think the Foundation membership, which
12 >> aiui is
13 >> developers and ex-developers, has the skills base to do those tasks
14 >> professionally, as they require. Nor do they seem to have been that
15 >> motivated to carry out those tasks, unsurprisingly.
16 >>
17 > [snip]
18 >> --
19 > Steve,
20 >
21 > Very true. Before we give away any control, or hire professionals, I
22 > want to look at ways of expanding Foundation membership among the user
23 > base. Gentoo users have a much wider skill set and interests than the
24 > developers do. If the trustees can find a way to draw on these skills
25 > and interests, there may be no need for professional administration at
26 > all.
27 >
28 I am fully with you on involving users; it was heartening to read that we
29 already have 2 lawyers standing as well. I would still rather know that
30 certain things, eg accounts and filings, were in the hands of someone who was
31 contractually obliged to carry those out. Maybe Trustees have that legal
32 obligation as well, but that doesn't seem to have been enough in the past. I
33 guess what I'm getting at is: let's make certain there is no way slackening
34 by volunteers could lead to a similar SNAFU.
35 --
36 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list