From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-core] copyright assignment replacement doc
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:56:25
1 On Monday 20 June 2005 10:27 am, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > That's quite true. On the other hand, it's not clear to me that Gentoo
3 > is notably more vulnerable than the Linux kernel, which also lacks
4 > copyright assignment. Why does their system work for them, but won't
5 > work for us?
6
7 Don't know that it "works" per se.. but on the other hand, it's hard telling
8 that an assignment doc would cover all of the bases either
9
10 > I have to admit that I'm not all that sanguine about being able to come
11 > up with a workable copyright assignment system. For those who don't
12
13 Yeah, honestly I don't know that the trouble of working up and collecting
14 assignment docs is worthwhile either. It would have to be an all or nothing
15 thing to make it work (for the portage code at least), and that alone could
16 cause quite a rift.
17
18 > So, I tend to think that we're going to have to be more creative. If
19 > portage code were stolen, could the Foundation not organize and finance
20 > a legal response on behalf of (and with the explicit consent of) our
21 > portage devs?
22
23 Possible.. One big snag here would be (hypothetically) with any contributors
24 who are no longer active developers, have left the project, and are not
25 willing to help.
26
27 Cheers,
28
29 -C
32 Corey Shields
33 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team and Devrel Team
34 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
35 http://www.gentoo.org/~cshields