From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Discussion] Refiling as a tax-exempt nonprofit.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 11:47:36
1 On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:22 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't know if it's worth the effort. The effort is better put into
4 > disbanding GF and making Gentoo more sustainable, than making it harder
5 > to keep GF afloat when we have a very bad track record of dealing with
6 > the 'easier' variant.
7
8 Along these lines I'll just mention something that I brought up on IRC
9 last night.
10
11 IMO something we ought to do is try to make our infra a bit more
12 legally resilient. That is, we should have an answer to the question,
13 what would we do if somebody took away ALL our toys - anything owned
14 by the Foundation? Having more toys owned by the Foundation would not
15 help with that - I'm not talking about a datacenter failure, I'm
16 talking about a legal failure.
17
18 Note that this isn't about any of our Trustees/Officers/etc having bad
19 intentions/etc. I'm just saying that reducing points of failure is a
20 good design practice.
21
22 If somebody took away all the Linux Foundation's toys chances are all
23 the subsystem maintainers already know each other's private emails,
24 and with their workflow each person really only needs to know the
25 people above/below them. They don't really need even a mailing list
26 or central repo to operate in the short term, though obviously those
27 things help. If they lost all their list history and started a new
28 list it wouldn't really be a big deal. They're not super-dependent on
29 central bug-trackers. Linus could just stick a mirror of his repo on
30 gitlab/github/whatever and it more-or-less gets the job done.
31
32 Now, we aren't the same sort of project, but we really ought to give
33 some thought to our own bus factor.
34
35 I'm not saying we can't have/use infra. I'm just saying we shouldn't
36 be so dependent on them that we basically just go away if our bugzilla
37 gets shut down, or that it be so hard to re-create everything that
38 everybody just gives up.
39
40 We can have a Foundation. We can have it add value. But let's try to
41 do it in a way that doesn't make us too dependent on sustained
42 operations. Bug bounties are a good use of money - we spend money, we
43 get GPL code. Nobody can take the GPL code away from us, so we've
44 traded an at-risk asset (money) for a risk-free asset (GPL code).
45 Infra is riskier - we trade a fungible asset (money) for illiquid
46 assets (hardware), and those assets increase our baseline
47 spending/support burden or they become useless, and those assets can
48 be taken away from us.
49
50 Donated services/hardware that we don't own is one way of mitigating
51 risk, though in the event of legal failure we should consider that
52 such orgs might be reluctant to get involved and might decide to only
53 make these resources available to somebody who can legally represent
54 Gentoo. Splitting resources between the e.V. and Foundation is
55 another way of mitigating risk as long as those orgs have no legal
56 connection. Having mirrors that are completely personally owned by a
57 few different community members and which don't have "Gentoo" anywhere
58 in their name is another way of mitigating risk.
59
60 I'm all for finding a balance - we should just balance risk of legal
61 failure into our org design.
64 Rich