From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:21:08
1 On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 03:39:51PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2019-07-13 at 06:17 -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
3 > > What are your plans regarding future relations between the trustees and the
4 > > council? I noted that the council isn't even mentioned in the bylaws
5 >
6 > I've answered this in detail in my Manifesto [1].
7 >
8 > Long story short, I believe the distribution should be self-governing,
9 > and Foundation should support it without interfering unnecessarily.
10 > This means that Council makes the majority of the decisions regarding
11 > Gentoo, and Trustees should work with the Council and respect
12 > the decisions made by it.
13 >
14 > [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/trustee-manifesto-2019.txt
15 >
16 > --
17 > Best regards,
18 > Michał Górny
21 Nothing is "self-governing" and always requires a legal entity of some kind.
22 This has implications beyond what the council can be held responsible for.
23
24 On the premise of your statement though and through IRC chats, I agree with your
25 statement.
26
27 I am for by-laws delineating the roles of the council to lead the distribution.
28 As stated above, some things cannot be delegated. That is, things which have
29 legal implications, COMREL, etc.
30
31 This drives my first comment that nothing is "self-governing" in general.
34 Cheers,
35 Aaron