From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [Fwd: [Foundations] Software Freedom Conservancy Launches]
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:06:05
1 On Monday 03 April 2006 21:25, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > As Corey's mentioned on -core, we might want to look into getting
3 > somebody else to take care of our financial/administrative stuff so the
4 > board can focus on Gentoo. This looks like an opportunity for that.
5 >
6 > A bit of looking on their website suggests that they may want a bit more
7 > control of our assets than I feel comfortable with, but that could be
8 > flexible.
9 >
10 > Who can follow up on this?
13 From what I understand, this initiative does a lot more than playing pro-bono
14 accountant. A pro-bono accountant is I feel more what gentoo needs.
15
16 In the case of gentoo, we have various valueable assets (such as the
17 trademark) that should stay under the control of gentoo itself. As such I
18 believe that there should stay a gentoo foundation with a board that has the
19 (almost) final say on the gentoo assets. Giving such away would be a mistake,
20 if one only thinks about the possibilities of liabilities on one project
21 flowing over to gentoo.
22
23 I also have the idea that this effort is directed at projects which are
24 smaller than gentoo. While that does not mean that gentoo couldn't use it, it
25 does not seem to be well suited for gentoo's needs. In the mean while, the
26 stuff is complex matter, and having a talk with the SFLC people could
27 certainly not harm.
28
29 Paul
32 Paul de Vrieze