From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: reopen nominations
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:09:55
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:48 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 2018.04.16 13:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Even if the result of _reopen_nominations is that the Trustees end up
5 >> filling some slots with non-elected candidates there are still some
6 >> benefits:
7 >> 1. The appointed candidates would only serve for one year per the
8 >> bylaws,
9 >
10 > True.
11 >
12 >> allowing for somebody with more support to replace them.
13 >
14 > Perhaps. If these 'somebodies' were interested. They would already
15 > be standing.
16
17 Not necessarily. They might not be involved yet, or they might simply
18 have other obligations that are no longer an issue a year later.
21 >> 2. The issue receives more visibility, and it makes it clear which
22 >> Trustees have a mandate.
23 >
24 > That's if the 'rejected' candidates are will accept an appointment
25 > after being rejected.
26
27 The Trustees are not limited to only appointing candidates who stood
28 for election. They could also reduce seats to obtain a new quorum if
29 that is even necessary.
30
31 > As for visibility, its a perennial problem. Look at the years when
32 > no vote is held and nominees are elected unopposed.
33 > That illustrates both the problem and lack of interest in the posts.
36 I certainly agree that this is an issue, and it still causes problems
37 even if all the posts are filled with warm bodies.
38
39 > _reopen_nominations will not magically make more candidates
40 > come forward and may have the undesired side effect of
41 > making things worse, not better.
42
43 The problems are there all the same. All this would do is make them
44 more visible.
45
46 I get the issue here. We have people volunteering for a job that very
47 few people want, and in some sense this lets the membership give them
48 a vote of no-confidence before they even start their jobs. In that
49 sense it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. It is easier to
50 criticize than to step up and do things.
51
52 However, giving a false sense of approval also has consequences.
53
54 IMO a more sustainable solution would be one that either makes the
55 Trustee post more appealing to volunteers we all trust to do the job,
56 or which eliminates the need for the post entirely.
57
58 My message all along has been that the frustrations with the
59 individuals manning the Trustee/Officer positions are more a result of
60 deficiencies in metastructure than on the individuals themselves. So,
61 personally given the choice I'd rather see the effort go into fixing
62 the metastructure.
63
64 That said, we shouldn't be complacent in assuming that just because
65 people win elections that everybody is happy with the status quo. I
66 think it was antarus who pointed out that even though there is more
67 competition for Council seats some of the same issues may apply there
68 as well, and I think that is fair. I do think devs get more of a
69 choice with Council, but that doesn't make it easy to tie that to how
70 they feel about specific issues.
73 Rich