From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: matthew.summers@××××××××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 21:12:21
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.02.03 19:41, Matthew Summers wrote:
5 > Roy Bamford wrote:
6 > > On 2008.02.03 16:49, Matthew Summers wrote:
7 > >> Roy Bamford wrote:
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Many new users come to gentoo as their first Linux. Many of
10 > >>> them are poorly informed about both Linux and Gentoo - I don't
11 > >>> know how to reach this group *before* they start asking for
12 > >>> help in #gentoo and on the forums. Thats the sort problem we
13 > >>> have to solve.
14 > >>>
15 > >>>
16 > >> Roy,
17 > >
18 > >> Towards a solution to this particular issue above, I suggest
19 > >> Gentoo provides a documentation project (possibly) entitled
20 > >> "Learning Linux with Gentoo". Within this we could easily
21 > >> address many issues faced by new Linux/Gentoo users. It would
22 > >> seem, as well, to be a good service to the Gentoo and larger
23 > >> Linux communities, as many users of other distros get information
24 > >> from our documentation pages as well as our forums. This could
25 > >> potentially increase Gentoo's exposure as well as our user base
26 > >> by "de-mystifying" Gentoo and basically easing new users into our
27 > >> way of operating, while also providing a great resource for all
28 > >> Linux/Gentoo users. I do want to state that this is not in any
29 > >> way intended to disparage the efforts of the Gentoo Documentation
30 > >> Project in any way. I think our docs are fantastic in many ways.
31 > >> I am simply suggesting some various extensions to that
32 > >> documentation base as well as some updates.
33 > >
34 > >> This would also fit into my earlier proposition regarding the use
35 > >> of university technical writing interns for said documentation
36 > >> projects as posted to this list and syndicated as a guest post on
37 > >> Joshua Jackson's (tsunam) blog.
38 > >
39 > >> As always, I offer my assistance/support in the aforementioned
40 > >> endeavor.
41 > >
42 > >> Best Regards,
43 > >
44 > >> Matthew W. Summers (quantumsummers)
48 > > Matthew,
49 > >
50 > > I think this is a good idea. However, one of the issues is that a
51 > > body of new users is not even aware of the existance of the current
52 > > documentation.
53 > >
54 > > e.g. How to head off questions like "I've just started the minimal
55 > > CD to install Gentoo but all I get is a black screen with some text
56 > > at the bottom. Where do I click to install Gentoo?"
57 > >
58 > > I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a troll but as this represents a class
59 > > of problems seen on the forums, I'm sure that some are genuine.
63 > Perhaps one easy way to present the necessary information to the
64 > users
65 > that are "not even aware of the existance of the current
66 > documentation" would be to extend the current message that is
67 > displayed upon booting to the minimal livecd by loading an ncurses
68 > based window that presents the current message and also presents the
69 > user 3 radio buttons. The buttons represent three options.
70 >
71 > Option 1- I'm New to Linux
72 > (Open lynx (or similar) to the hypothetical page "Learning Linux
73 > with Gentoo: I Just Booted the Minimal LiveCD, Now What?")
74 > 1st Lesson: Use of CTRL + F1-F6 to switch terminals, etc.
75 > Option 2 - I'm New to Gentoo
76 > (Open lynx (or similar) to the "Gentoo Handbook")
77 > Option 3 - Continue to CLI
78 > (Set at timeout for this ncurses screen of, say, 15 seconds
79 > before
80 > proceeding as usual, also allow the user to pass a switch to grub at
81 > boot to bypass the ncurses)
82 >
83 > This is a rather brief description, and could easily be refined. It
84 > is meant only to convey the general idea, that is, we can modify the
85 > usual minimal livecd experience to reflect both the desires of many
86 > veteran users to have a rapid & often remote boot, while serving the
87 > new, perhaps less knowledgeable, users as well.
88 >
89 > Let me know what you think.
90 >
91 > Best Regards,
92 >
93 > Matthew W. Summers
96 I like the sound of that. The CDs have a readme file which the user has
97 to find that contains links to the handbook.
98
99 A more "in your face" approach may be good.
100 The 2008.0 feature request deadline has just passed.
101 Maybe for 2008.1
104 - --
105 Regards,
106