From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-core] Upcoming elections
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 05:49:28

Corey Shields wrote:
| No, I wasn't joking.

| You get the current trustees to all speakup on the
| issues that we have been trying to discuss as of late and I'll go along
| with your idea.

As a non-trustee, I have absolutely no visibility w.r.t. which trustees
are actively carrying out their duties, and which ones aren't.  I'd like
to know more on that, because I wouldn't want to vote for any current
trustees who simply aren't pulling their weight there.

How can you provide that information to the wider community?

| No matter how automated you make it there will still be
| a human aspect involved, and that is where I see the lack of resources.
| I have hope that this will change in the future.

I guess what you need is a group of trustees who are willing to put the
effort in to get such a scheme setup and running.  Once you reach
critical mass, you can then employ an administrator

| It may have gone to -core..  there were many different cc's at the
| beginning of this.

I'm following this on -core.  I'll check the archives.

| With mandatory voting you have the same problems as with a quorum vote.
| Some people just won't vote.  If you hold a vote that has to wait for
| all members to submit their mandatory ballot, it will never close.

Or you still have your voting deadline, and then expel everyone who
doesn't vote.  Think of it as an annual clearout of inactive accounts ;-)

(Personally, I'm in favour of an opt-in approach to voting, rather than
mandatory voting.  But the idea's worth floating)

Best regards,
- --
Stuart Herbert                                         stuart@g.o
Gentoo Developer