From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:27:15
1 On Tuesday 13 April 2004 23:12, Corey Shields wrote:
2 > you're spot-on here, Daniel. The co-op is a great idea.. I defended
3 > the core idea to a lot of people while you started to give it yesterday,
4 > yet it doesn't seem to fit too well in the Gentoo model. Seperating
5 > that will allow Gentoo to operate in the way that it does, yet also have
6 > a seperate group that can help to fund OSS development (not affiliated
7 > with Gentoo in any way other than the people starting it may be involved
8 > with Gentoo as well). I love the co-op idea** because it works a lot
9 > like LinuxFund only the people who pitch in the money have a say in
10 > where it goes. 'Tis why I've never given to LinuxFund thus far.
11 > Anyway, I commend you for saying this.. I think the idea took off a
12 > little too far for "version 1" ;)
13
14 I have a few ideas for the coop thingy, but before I post them I'd like
15 someone (drobbins?) to post a summary of any existing ideas/proposal (or at
16 least what in general people think when they hear 'coop'). The managers'
17 meeting log wasn't very clear on some issues (such as what if anything the
18 universities are doing). If there isn't anything written out clearly yet, my
19 rambling might still give a good idea to someone.
20
21 As for the NFP, personally I'm less interested in it, because (as Lance
22 pointed out) it tries to prevent future problems, while the coop addresses
23 existing ones - lack of funding linked to community feedback in FOSS
24 development. So I'd like to look at the coop possibilities.
27 Dan Armak
28 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
29 Matan, Israel
30 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
31 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951