From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Status meeting --- 30 March
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 05:30:42
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 >> > b. Both sets of bylaws call out both a Board (of Trustees) and
3 >> > officers of the Foundation chosen by the trustees. At the moment, we
4 >> > (the trustees) are acting as the officers of the Foundation (because we
5 >> > chose ourselves if for no other reason). We need to think through how
6 >> > this works and what structure we want.
7 >> Officers are people appointed on a professional basis, eg a lawyer, acct
8 >> or admin, or more general?
11 > Officers are the people who actually run the corporation (Foundation) on
12 > a day-to-day basis. Take your favorite company and think President/CEO,
13 > Comptroller, etc. Generally, a board doesn't do all that much, isn't
14 > paid much, and so on. Board members are generally required to be
15 > members of the Corporation (like stockholders) and the officers of the
16 > corporation serve at the pleasure of the board and have whatever
17 > qualifications the board members feel are appropriate. Example, related
18 > to our own situation: Remember that a while back drobbins offered to
19 > serve as president of the Foundation. This would have made him an
20 > officer of the Foundation but not a board member (trustee).
21 >
22 Hmm OK, although I have to point out that CEO/President is a board-level
23 position. Whoever has voting rights for board-meetings are the Board, is how
24 I understand it, and they usually are paid a great deal in the private-sector
25 (which is what makes non-exec positions so attractive.) For non-profits, the
26 Board tends to be more of a voluntary, gubernatorial oversight role, as you
27 outline.
28
29 > Currently, the trustees are serving in dual capacity (which is fine),
30 > and I am just bringing that out explicitly.
31 >
32 Understood.
33
34 >> > c. Trustees must be members of the Foundation, but Officers of the
35 >> > Foundation need only to be alive (in order to carry out their duties).
36 >> > Right now that is probably OK because we have neatly resolved the issue
37 >> > for the moment (see point b).
38 >> >
39 >> As you mentioned in the meeting, the membership detail doesn't seem to
40 >> match the existing practice.
43 > In the 2007-01-22 revision, Article IV (Members) tries to reflect what
44 > we say we do, but it's a bit unclear on a couple points. And I think
45 > current practice (and what we advertise) has overtaken § 4.3. Also, I
46 > don't like § 4.9 as it stands. (Disciplinary action has nothing to do
47 > with whether or not someone who has ever been a member should remain a
48 > member with some narrow exceptions. I prefer that involuntary
49 > termination of membership should require Board action. As it stands,
50 > membership status depends too much on Council/devrel/userrel, and
51 > membership status in the Foundation is really a Board matter, not a
52 > Council matter. To become a member, you must be a developer for a year
53 > or be voted in by the Board. But after that, Board controls, not
54 > Council.)
55 >
56 The new draft did seem a lot simpler; and I agree that the Foundation should
57 be under the jurisdiction of the Trustees, now that they're being restarted.
58 Personally I'd like to see the Trustees as the last point of appeal for
59 non-technical disputes, in the same way as the Council is for technical
60 decisions. The two aspects are both critical, but very different and
61 expertise in one has no bearing on expertise in the other, ime.
62
63 > OK, I'm opening up that little discussion now, I guess, but the Bylaws
64 > are ultimately approved by the Trustees, and Bylaws spell out membership
65 > requirements.
66 >
67 Have to say in passing (since it has no bearing on what's happening now) I'd
68 prefer bylaws to be ultimately approved by the membership directly (all
69 arguments about representative democracy aside.) Although, not sure if you'd
70 ever get what I'd call a quoracy given the turnout for the last vote.
73 >> Thanks to all of you for taking this critical work on. I'm sure it'll be
74 >> more fun in a few months ;p
75 >
76 > It's sort of fun already, in a perverse way. :)
77 >
78 Heh, well you're a Gentoo dev, so I guess you must enjoy stuff the rest of us
79 would run a mile from ;)
80 --
81 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list