From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: John Alberts <john.m.alberts@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Response to Grant Goodyear
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:33:55
1 On 1/21/08, John Alberts <john.m.alberts@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Matthew Summers wrote:
3 > > What follows are some suggestions.
4 > >
5 > > Consider the use of university internship programs for projects like
6 > > documentation (technical writing students) & The GMN (journalism
7 > > students). These programs are a requirement to graduate for many
8 > > university students. With that, many companies and other
9 > > organizations offer resume-building experience in their field in the
10 > > form of these unpaid interships. I'm sure many of you have had the
11 > > pleasure of an unpaid internship. The Gentoo Foundation can leverage
12 > > its status as a well known GNU/Linux distribution and a legitimate
13 > > global organization to attract the leading universities around the
14 > > world. What I mean to say is that people pay attention to Gentoo and
15 > > there exists a certain level of expectation of quality from the larger
16 > > tech world. To really floor the critics, solicit a few English
17 > > departments at some highly respected university to collaborate with a
18 > > team of developers and users to create and maintain documentation and
19 > > write a regular news letter. I know a few good writers and if you give
20 > > them the right information to start with then answer any questions
21 > > they have along the way you get really nice work. What writer
22 > > wouldn't like to have their name on really well written, and heavily
23 > > viewed pages? Talk about an attention grabber.
24 > >
25 > > Further, consider using internship programs to assist with the
26 > > management and governance of the Gentoo Foundation itself. There are
27 > > many university programs that focus on non-profit and foundation
28 > > management. Create programs that give opportunities to these students
29 > > to participate in the day to day business of the Gentoo Foundation.
30 > > They can act in supporting roles for the trustees and counsel members
31 > > and other various committees. Hey, its worth university credit to the
32 > > student and its free to Gentoo.
35 > > Consider the implementation of a Gentoo Patron program, such that
36 > > companies and other organizations have an opportunity to support the
37 > > Foundation, be it financially or with volunteers. In return, offer
38 > > some Patron Profile Page to give the donors some visibility. Further,
39 > > as a small business owner I have to say, its sometimes very tough to
40 > > locally procure for employment a good developer, administrator, or
41 > > otherwise one that knows their way around Gentoo or GNU/Linux for that
42 > > matter. I imagine that other companies have similar issues. Thus some
43 > > way for companies and organization to be exposed to the larger Gentoo
44 > > community would be a significant return on any investment.
45 > >
46 > > Consider a partnership with a larger organization, like Google, to
47 > > extend the users experience in novel ways. One example would be the
48 > > use of some social networking tools to aid the Gentoo community in
49 > > collaborations on code, documentation, etc.
50 >
51 > I think these are all excellent ideas. I know that some projects have
52 > participated in Google SOC, so they have gotten some free dev work from
53 > students. I don't know much at all about the Gentoo structure and who
54 > would be best to present these ideas to. It seems like this mailing
55 > list would be a good start. I know it's going to take a dev or two or
56 > three to step up and carry the torch to implement these ideas.
57
58 We've done GSoC but haven't had the best of results; the students are
59 the folks submitting the proposals; if we are chosen to do GSoC this
60 year maybe we can make better use of the work.
61
62 -Alec
63 --
64 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list