From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation bank account
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:41:09
1 On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 17:20 -0700, Blackace wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 16:57 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 17:28 +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > I have no idea what Capital One will want --- William does, though.
6 > >
7 > > No requirements, one or more and they can be officers or trustees. They
8 > > did not seem to care. That might change when we actually go to open an
9 > > account. But as it stands now. We specify who we want on file with
10 > > signature/authorization authority. It does not have to be all officers.
11 >
12 > But it should be, putting all of Gentoo's financial assets under the
13 > control of one or two people increases the odds of problems...say one
14 > gets in a car wreck and one...I don't know...buys it in a terrible soft
15 > serve machine accident in the dev lounge... :)
16
17 I have no problem with more than one. Just not something that is a
18 requirement by Capital One, at this time. Compared to others that
19 require all. It's not a big deal really if they are US Citizens. But if
20 they are not, then it gets a bit complicated.
21
22 We can put all Trustees, and VP, President, and Treasure on the account
23 as far as I am concerned. I don't really care, it's just the
24 international aspect.
25
26 > Also remember, when a corp opens a bank account (or makes really any
27 > other decision about the corp), the officers of the corp, which I gather
28 > is the trustees at this point,
29
30 Yes, most trustees ( not including me ) are serving dual roles, trustees
31 and officers.
32
33 > need to meet and vote on a resolution to
34 > open the account, and this needs to be documented in the books of the
35 > corp...yes, a lot of people skip this step, but skipping it's generally
36 > not a good idea, it's easy enough to meet and say "let's open an account
37 > with XYZ", "second", etc., and the president could just print out the
38 > IRC log, sign it, and send it to the secretary for their signature and
39 > to store it with the rest of the records.
40
41 That's fine we are not actually opening the account at this time. But we
42 have met on the topic of bank account and did vote to authorize action.
43 If we need to be so fine as to vote on every detail. I am sure we will,
44 but at this time. There isn't to many options. So voting and any no's or
45 complications there. Wouldn't do to much good ;)
46
47 But we do vote, meeting logs and summaries should reflect that.
48
49 > Not maintaining good records could easily lead to NFP status being
50 > stripped or the corporate entity being forcibly dissolved, not worth the
51 > risk.
52
53 Fully aware and there are other issues there. Tons of work still to be
54 done like financial reporting and accounting. Which is still part of
55 federal requirements. Much less what we have done on a state level so
56 far. State doesn't really determine NFP status, feds do :)
57
58 Failure to maintain records on voting this bank or that. Will hardly do
59 much harm if any to us. Considering what else remains to be done and
60 possible issues there.
63 William L. Thomson Jr.
64 amd64/Java/Trustees
65 Gentoo Foundation