From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 15:56:35
On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 12:32 +0200, Ioannis Aslanidis wrote:
> > > 7. Buy new hardware to install/certify Gentoo on ( PS 4, new procs, > > big iron, etc) > > Do we certify Gentoo (in the legal sense of the word)?
Maybe not in the legal sense. But in the sense that it's been installed, tested, and know to work on yet to be release hardware or upcoming platforms.
> > 11. Purchase membership for Gentoo in other foundations ( Gentoo > > being a member of Gnome foundation, or etc ) > > What would be the benefit of that? Could you develop?
Having a say in the future or direction. So others distro's per say could totally skew the direction or etc. Also to show a tighter/closer relationship. Cross pollination, etc.
> > 12. Provide hardware to devs working on certain areas, device > > drivers etc ( like buying a bunch of video cards for those > > supporting binary drivers, or odd/expensive hardware ) > > This could work, but the hardware should be property of the foundation > then. When someone leaves the foundation, the hardware has to be > relocated.
That's a given.
> > 13. Buy licenses to commercial apps so we can package and make > > ebuilds available for them. > > I think this is not worth it. It is them who should show up some interest. > > > 14. Provide FREE release media > > I'd be on the other side here. People can always download stuff for > free, but for what I've seen in other distro's, if you want something > 'official' you have to pay for it. That's a way to get income for the > foundation...
In the past this has been done, but is not profitable. Since some sell our media against our wishes. I had mentioned that we might have a policy to allow others to sell our stuff. Requiring a percentage. That would add a bounty to any cease and desist suit or etc. However given that it's not likely something that will ever provide much revenue. Due to overhead and expense. Why not flip it entirely around, and just do it for free. Less shipping. That's very grass rootsie, friendly, community focus'd, etc. -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation