From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] CDs and t-shirts
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:39:26
1 On Apr 17, 2004, at 3:56 am, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2
3 >> If you would make extremely huge profits, we couldn't ask for
4 >> a part if you reinvested all the money in your FP entity again.
5 >
6 > It's hard to make extremely huge profits selling CDs of free software
7 > (and
8 > soon, t-shirts.) I don't think you may realize that having a NFP
9 > allows for
10 > much more funding potential than a basic CD/t-shirt business. The
11 > difference
12 > in potential is very much in favor of the NFP.
13
14 "perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free use of the "Gentoo" trademark
15 and "G" logo" is not the same thing as "selling a few t-shirts",
16 however.
17
18 Surely "perpetual use of the "Gentoo" trademark and "G" logo" permits
19 Gentoo Technologies Inc the same freedoms that RedHat & Mandrake have
20 with their own trademarks & logos..?
21
22 I have no idea what the implications are of this. I'm sure no-one
23 begrudges you the money made off t-shirts, boxed sets or even official
24 support, however I don't see how Gentoo NFP would be protected against
25 you charging for, say, a Gentoo premium service.
26
27 Why not just have Gentoo NFP employ you in your cd-burning,
28 t-shirt-printing capacity, and have the NFP pay you a wage..?
29
30 Stroller.
34 gentoo-nfp@g.o mailing list