From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: John Alberts <john.m.alberts@×××××.com>
Cc: James Laslavic <squarebottle@×××××.com>, gibbonsr-ml@××××××××××××××××××.com, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins, leadership, etc.
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:12:53
1 On 1/16/08, John Alberts <john.m.alberts@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > There was talk of a vote on -core.
3 > Unfortunately, it's completely private, so the community has no idea what is
4 > being discussed. I think this is the real problem. Lack of communication.
5 > Lack of transparency. -core should at least be read only and archived for
6 > users to see what's going on.
7
8 I'm pretty sure there is a lot of talk here, a lot of talk on the
9 forums, on -project, and elsewhere. I'm taking my time to try to
10 update you on what the goings on are. If it wasn't on -core it would
11 be on a private IRC channel or in privmsg. Sometimes you just need a
12 private space to hash out ideas.
15 > With the lack of communication and updates on the Gentoo front page and lack
16 > of GWN releases, and a missed 2007.1 release, users get the impression that
17 > nothing is happening and things must be declining. Happy Gentoo users get
18
19 Yes and I worked hard to get news items on the front page and look,
20 there they are.
21 No news is good news, no? :)
22
23 > outraged because this wonderful distribution *seems* to be withering away
24 > because of the lack of transparency and communication. When in fact, as
25 > many have pointed out, new and updated ebuilds are put in portage every day.
26 > Lot's of devs are constantly at work in the background keeping things
27 > going, but there's a lack of people to keep the community informed properly.
30 Yes well as you noted writing news and project updates is boring and
31 so it doesn't get done.
32 Are you volunteering? :)
33
34 > I don't know any of the devs personally, and I'm not a dev, but I hate
35 > seeing some of these comments coming through putting all of this blame on
36 > the devs. They are volunteers, doing what they enjoy, and they'll be doing
37 > it for as long as it makes him/her happy.
38 >
39 > I support bringing drobbins back because my hope is that he will help
40 > implement the needed direction and transparency that Gentoo needs to
41 > succeed; however, drobbins needs to elaborate on what his intentions are and
42 > how he plans to implement these changes before any decision is made. I
43 > would hope that he joins this discussion to help provide a good solution for
44 > everyone.
45 >
46 > John Alberts