From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] A committee to review umbrellas as a new home for Gentoo assets.
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 20:55:08
1 On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > If the Foundation was to be more active (raise more money, have complex
4 > interactions, employees, etc.) then being an umbrella is risky because there
5 > can be a lot of friction from that sort of structure. However very few
6 > individuals seem to want a more active Foundation and I see many in the
7 > developer community oppose such activities. So I don't see an active
8 > Foundation as likely.
11 There are pros and cons to either model. IMO the Umbrella org
12 approach could make sense in a model where this side of the distro is
13 more active, because it lets people interested in doing things like
14 fundraising and such focus more on that stuff (and spending the money)
15 and less on ledgers and taxes. At least, up until a point - at some
16 point the independent Foundation makes more sense (especially if
17 you're talking actual employees and such).
18
19 So, maybe viewed another way, here is a hierarchy of levels of sophistication:
20 Level 0 - keep the lights on (minimal filings, follow the law, pay the
21 hosting bills, accept paypal donations).
22 I think an umbrella org can basically relieve anybody from doing
23 anything more than sending them invoices and money.
24
25 Level 1 - a dose of activism (crowdfunding for feature requests,
26 bounties, some events/promotions, etc, but no employees or really
27 expensive obligations beyond basic infra; all obligations are taken on
28 as funds are available).
29 I think an umbrella org is also ideal here because it lets us focus
30 more on the high-value stuff and less on keeping the lights on.
31
32 Level 2 - a serious concern (think Apache/Mozilla/etc; staff that does
33 Gentoo stuff at least part time; ongoing obligations and operating
34 costs that are significant).
35 I think an umbrella org will fail hard here. At this point we need a
36 Foundation that is probably as big as all of SPI and such. We need
37 people full-time just making sure that the cash flow is there to pay
38 all the bills.
39
40 I think the reality is that today we struggle with Level 0 with dreams
41 of doing Level 1. If we were ever to get to Level 2 (which seems
42 unlikely to me) we could always form a 501c3 and have the assets
43 transferred back to it, probably with a cleaner shot of things without
44 the issues with the existing Foundation history. Creating a 501c3 (or
45 something similar) wouldn't be nearly as big a problem if we really
46 were operating at a level where we were even contemplating operating
47 at this level, since we'd probably have near-fulltime volunteers
48 already and a pretty big cash flow to hire the necessary expertise.
49
50 I think trying to optimize for Level 2 right now just doesn't make
51 sense. It is like a startup blowing its seed money on a huge
52 corporate headquarters. If we become the next Mozilla that stuff will
53 take care of itself. Now, if we get stuck and no umbrella will have
54 us then we have no choice but to carry on, but IMO it isn't the place
55 we want to be right now...
59 Rich