From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 18:28:00
1 On 2016.10.13 17:35, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > Current bylaws state that to become a member you need to petition the
3 > trustees for membership to the foundation. What verification is done
4 > by
5 > trustees is up in the air.
6 An @gentoo.org email reduces things to formalities. Foundation
7 membership for devs is opt in rather that opt out as a few devs in the
8 early days objected to opt out.
9 Opt out makes a vote of members very difficult as there will be a large
10 part of the membership who won't vote.
11
12 For non dev Foundation members, the contribution to Gentoo is checked.
13 bugsie, forums, #gentoo-* and so on. What is acceptable to show
14 support for Gentoo is indeed left to the trustees on a case by case basis.
15
16 > Members also seem to be members for life
17 > unless they remove themselves are are removed by a vote of the
18 > trustees.
19 or unless they fail to vote in two successive trustee elections.
20 This has not worked as well as was expected for keeping the
21 membership current as we don't always hold a vote.
22 Trustee candidates can be elected unopposed.
25 > I suggest we use and/or modify the existing staff quiz for use as a
26 > guide for who to admit, as 'graded' by trustees. I also suggest that
27 > some for of positive acknowledgement that they will adhere to the CoC
28 > would be helpful as well.
29 >
30 > Now, some have floated the idea that the foundation membership is
31 > somewhat defunct, and that may be the case. Personally I think it
32 > should be reaffirmed each year (or some other time period that is
33 > agreed
34 > upon).
35 That was the intent behind the 'two successive trustee elections',
36 which gives a period of two years.
37
38 But to 'clean' it up I think we should ask the existing
39 > members
40 > to at least agree to the CoC, and possibly also be staff.
41
42 That raises the bar to membership and dangles the carrot of a
43 @gentoo.org and increases the workload on recruiters.
44 I'm not in favour of that combination.
45 It also raises the question of what project would such staffers belong
46 to?
47
48 We had one such case in the past. devrel (as they were) were very
49 reluctant to agree a similar proposal at that time, even as an
50 exception.
51
52 Non dev Foundation members typically contribute via Gentoo
53 channels so the CoC behaviour is inferred. Enforcement is as it
54 is for everyone.
57 > It's also been suggested that the foundation (active) membership is
58 > waning, so once / if we decide on an update to the membership policy I
59 > think we should mail the lists petitioning for memebers (-dev -project
60 > and maybe some others)
61
62 That never does any harm anyway.
63 >
64 > The above would be an update to the bylaws and I want feedback before
65 > I
66 > propose it as an update.
67 >
68 > --